[Vision2020] 5 Person Debate: Washed Away by Storms, Rebuilt by Taxpayers

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 04:24:31 PST 2012

Washed Away by Storms, Rebuilt by Taxpayers

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/11/26/should-federal-money-rebuild-coastal-properties/?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20121127

Here is an are where arch snipers at each other, Gary Crabtree & I, might
agree.  Private insurance.

If owners in these catastrophe prone areas can get insurance, let them get
it at their own expense,  If they can't get it or it is too expensive, that
is a good warning sign that rebuilding should not occur subsidized by
public funds.

Some similar considerations  should be made for investing public funds in
rebuilding infrastructure in repeatedly disaster prone areas.

It is very hard for people to pick up and move. We ought not be heartless.
Perhaps instead of using public money for rebuilding, we should make a one
time payment to owners toward relocation, but then not rebuild
infrastructure in really repeatedly disaster stricken areas.

There is more demand than we can satisfy now with public funds for
maintaining and building new infrastructure in non-disaster prone areas.

w.
--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
art.deco.studios at gmail.com