[Vision2020] Your Vote Matters

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Nov 13 13:40:42 PST 2012

Courtesy of Lawrence O'Donnell commentary at the end of yesterday's "Last Word" at:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49806039/ns/msnbc/#.UKK78Hy9KSM
"In tonight`s Rewrite, another episode of your votes
matters. Seventy seven million people who could have voted for president
didn`t. There are a few different kinds of non-voters at the presidential
level. First of all, some voters were understandably discouraged by voter
I.D. laws and other unique first-time attempts to suppress their votes.
I`m not talking about those people tonight.
I`m talking about people who could have easily voted and didn`t. They
include some people who kind of, sort of, mean to vote, but then don`t get
around to it on election day, for a variety of reasons, from flat tires to
you name it, including some legitimate last-minute reasons, illness, things
like that.
Another sizable group that don`t go out and vote during presidential
elections are those who live in intensely red or intensely blue states,
where there is absolutely no doubt what the electoral college result will
be in their state. Another group are those who believe that there is no
big difference between Democrats and Republicans.
That group thinks that voting doesn`t matter, ever. They are, of
course, in a word, wrong.
Advertise | AdChoices

There is always a huge difference between the Democratic candidate for
president and the Republican candidate for president, on whom they would
select for Supreme Court justices. And that is a difference that can have
an important affect on our lives for generations to come.
There are, of course, about 1,000 other reasons to vote for president.
But if none of them move you, then there are always some local issues that
have to be resolved on state ballots. Now, you saw how complicated some of
those can be when I filled out my California ballot right here on the show,
with the former California Governor Gray Davis, because I couldn`t do it
myself.
In Washington State, Initiative Measure Number 502, to legalize
marijuana possession, up to an ounce, for people over the age of 21, was on
the ballot; 1,549,928 voted yes for legalizing marijuana in Washington
State, and they instantly changed some lives in the process.
The measure won 55 percent of the vote. And days after the election,
Washington State prosecutors in two counties immediately began Rewriting
the charges against people who have been arrested for marijuana possession.
They now intend to charge them with nothing.
Prosecutors are now taking action to dismiss charges in all of the
simple marijuana possession cases in their jurisdictions. King County
prosecutor Dan Sauterberg has decided to apply the law retroactively to
defendants who were arrested before election day.
'Although the effective date is not until December 6th, there is no
point continuing to seek criminal penalties for conduct that will be legal
next month,' Sauterberg said About 40 such cases had already been filed in
King County, which includes Seattle, as criminal prosecutions. Those 40
will all be dismissed. And another 135 cases that had not yet been
formally charged in court will all be dropped.
In Pierce County, which includes Tacoma, prosecutor Mark Linquist said
he was dismissing all of about four dozen cases of simple possession of
marijuana. He said 'the people have spoken through this initiative. And
as a practical matter, I don`t think you could sell a simple marijuana case
to a jury after this initiative passed.'
In an interview with 'the Seattle Times,' King County prosecutor Dan
Sauterberg said 'I think when the people voted to change the policy, they
weren`t focused on when the effective date of the new policy would be.
They spoke loudly and clearly that we should not treat small amounts of
marijuana as an offense.'
Allison Holcomb (ph), who was the manager -- campaign manager of the
campaign to decriminalize minor marijuana possession, said she was, quote,
'incredibly moved' by Sauterberg`s announcement. She said that the
prosecutor showed, quote, 'incredible courage.'
More than 220 marijuana possession cases instantly dismissed. More
than 220 lives saved from criminal records. Allison Holcomb is right. It
did take some courage for prosecutors to decide to drop those cases based
on last week`s vote. And it took wisdom, the collective wisdom of voters
to make that happen.
One million, five hundred forty thousand, nine hundred twenty eight
Washington State voters improved the lives of people, instantly, by voting.
When people tell you that voting doesn`t matter, tell them to talk to those
220 people in Washington State who won`t be dragged into court for
possession of a little bit of weed. And tell it to the thousands and
thousands and thousands of people who, for years to come in Washington
State, will not be arrested for minor possession of marijuana.
And let`s all thank Washington State voters tonight for once again
proving that your vote matters."

Seeya round town, Moscow, because . . .

"Moscow Cares"
http://www.MoscowCares.com