[Vision2020] NPR and Memorial Day

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Mon May 28 21:00:48 PDT 2012

Nick,

Thanks for sharing. I have heard some incredible stories from WWII and even WWI because of my work with people of advanced age. I think many of the people that were around during WWII and WWI that didn't fight, but were in the world at the time, have some interesting stories too, like what the people thought, and the politics of the time.

I find it interesting that the veteran you talked to was irritated by others not pronouncing Iraqi correctly. I think Iraqi is going to be mispronounced because Iran and Iraq have been at the center of US politics since the mid-1970s. Which means anyone under the age of 40 today was required to talk about Iraq before they had the linguistic skills to properly pronounce a complex foreign sounding name. When a child is six or seven years old, and someone asks, "Where is your Dad?" They cannot pronounce Iraq correctly at that age. However, a six or seven year old, and even younger can say "eye" and "rack". So I think growing up with that pronunciation with our friends, it has become an accepted pronunciation even though technically incorrect.

Also keep in mind FOX News correspondents and viewers want to be able to talk about foreign affairs too. So we must also allow them to use the easier pronunciation of Iraq to be inclusive.

Donovan J. Arnold