[Vision2020] NPR and Memorial Day

Nicholas Gier ngier006 at gmail.com
Mon May 28 15:02:48 PDT 2012

Dear Visionaries:

I've had several "Driveway Moments" with NPR over the weekend.  First,
there was the military doctor who talked about working on two hospital
ships anchored off Basra.  Day after day they triaged wounded Iraqi
militants and civilians.  Some of us rightly speak out when our troops
break the rules, but it is important to salute them when they do things
right.

The other piece was from a WWII vet who still has nightmares about a young,
blond Aryan "angel" (his own words) that he reluctantly shot. The GI asked
him to surrender as a POW but he pulled out a pistol instead.  As you might
imagine, it was a very moving account.

And this morning it was "Russ," who served in S. Korea and then two tours
of Iraq.  (When are people going to pronounce the country correctly?  It is
not Eye-raq and just as it is not Eye-talians!)  Russ was using his college
money to get a degree in Social Work so that he could do vet mental health.

To these and thousands of others I salute you.  My only regret is that so
many were lost in wars that should not have been waged.

Nick