[Vision2020] Fw: Plant Sale Specifics! For volunteers, growers, buyers!

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Sat May 19 13:33:12 PDT 2012

-----Original message-----

From: Whitepine chapter INPS whitepine.chapter at gmail.com
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 19:14:37 -0700
To: White Pine Chapter contacts whitepine.chapter at gmail.com
Subject: Plant Sale Specifics! For volunteers, growers, buyers!

Plant Sale Specifics!

   - *Plant sale will be **Saturday, May 26 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Arts
   Room of the 1912 Center*. The early hour is because we want to get some
   people through the sale before the rug sale in the Great Room begins at 10
   and because previous plant sales we've attended started at 8.
   - Plant sale *setup will be Friday, May 25, 6 p.m. until 8 p.m.* however
   some of us will be there by *5*. Enter through the door on the southwest
   corner (come up flight of stairs). If you need to come in from the parking
   lot level then enter the Southeast corner door and walk across the balcony
   above the Great Room. There should be folks to help carry if you park in
   front or in the parking lot. At this point we don't have any wagons.
   - Plant sale take-down will be immediately after the sale.
   - We would still like *a few more volunteers* so that those who have
   volunteered to work do not have to work non-stop. People to answer
   questions, checkout organizers, cashiers, carriers - there's a role for any
   level of expertise.
   - A new *plant list* has been uploaded to the website
   http://whitepineinps.org/pub/2012PlantSalePublicity.pdf. The numbers are
   approximate and change daily. The list will probably be uploaded again
   mid-week.
   - Please *promote* the plant sale to those who may be interested in
   native plants for gardens, butterfly gardens, rock gardens, etc. A *
   poster* is available at
http://whitepineinps.org/pub/Plantsalesign_a.pdfif you can post it for
us somewhere.
   - We already have made* labels* for almost all plants we have been told
   about. Let us know if you are bringing some plants we don't know about!
   - We would like more* boxes* although our poster requests that people
   have a box if possible. If you have some to spare or know a good source,
   let us know.
   - At this point we have *52 different types of plants* and over *775
   garden ready plants*. 400 of these come from *Pleasant Hill Farms*.
   Others have come from members and contacts. Almost all are perennials or
   annuals - we wish we had shrubs but this was not the year!
   - *Cricket's Wildflower Gardens* will bring an additional set of plants
   from her business to complement our selection.
   - The *Arts Room*, if you have not been in it, is at least twice as big
   as the Fiske Room maybe larger. It is designed for projects like this sale
   with concrete floors, washable tables, sinks, etc. It will be set up with 6
   foot metal tables.
   - We are still working on pricing. There is great variety in the growth
   of the plants and how garden-ready they are so except for the plants from
   Pleasant Hill Farms the price will be based on garden readiness, size of
   plant and not size of pot. Our goal is not to make a huge profit, it is
   primarily to get more people interested in growing native plants. So we
   will probably be pricing lower than some might want. This is advice we have
   gotten from other native plant sales in Idaho.
   - We will sell a few *books - donated or otherwise*. We do not plan to
   have food or drink for the buyers at this point. The volunteers welcome any
   munchies!
   - Regarding the plants which are left after the sale: We've made
   arrangements to sell at the *MFC Tuesday grower's market* immediately
   after the sale. Volunteers for that would be most welcome. We only have a
   temporary nursery permit for 1 week. We have several options in mind for
   anything left but no firm decision on that - if you donated and you want
   something back if it isn't sold you must be specific in your request!
   - Although one person has suggested holding over plants for another sale
   we do not have a designated nursery space, potting space, or any persons
   who will accept the responsibility of maintaining them at this time. It's a
   great idea and some cities have a Botanical Gardens, an Arboretum, or some
   such facility which has space and encourages workshops for seeding,
   preparing cuttings, potting, educational programs, etc throughout the year.
   If anyone knows of such a possibility please let the chapter know.  Fall is
   a nice time to plant natives, but spring plants would have to be potted up
   to the next level of pot.
   - *Pots* may be brought to any chapter meeting in the future for use
   again. The black tall 36 cu in pots used by Pleasant Hill Farms will
   hopefully be returned. A sign will be at the sale letting people know where
   else they can bring these pots besides chapter meetings.
   - *Trays* will be retained at the sale as most belong to individuals not
   the chapter.
   - We will have posters around town and hope many of you will post a
   poster. The URL is listed above.
   - A number of organizations such as Audubon, the Garden Club, the
   Arboretum, etc were asked to send Plant Sale notifications to their contact
   lists. This will mean we will do the same for them in the future if asked.
   - We will be accepting *new memberships* and hopefully some *renewals*.
   - The *committee* for this has been very small - mostly consisting of
   the officers and a few people who have been very helpful. Much was done by
   email. We have appreciated advice from others. We would have liked to have
   more planning meetings but this has come together too quickly this spring
   because of everyone's commitments. It started out being small but the folks
   who have grown plants have been great.
   - Any* income* realized from the sale will be used for educational
   programs and grants determined by the chapter membership.

THANKS EVERYONE!    Come *buy* and *bring a friend*! If you have other
questions reply to this email and we'll try to get an answer out.

James, Pat, Elisabeth, Nancy and others who are appreciated and will be
recognized for their help!