[Vision2020] Highly religious people are less motivated by compassion than are non-believers

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Thu May 3 18:52:59 PDT 2012

Chasuk expresses skepticism that motivation can be empirically measured.

With respect to the concepts "highly religious" and "compassion" that are
used in the studies which started this thread, there is much room for
skepticism about what is being measured by the results since the
operational definitions for those two concepts are far from precise and are
at variances with some of the ambiguous meanings of these terms in ordinary
language.

However, empirically measuring motivation to the extent that clear
operation definitions are used has been one of the most successful areas of
applied psychology -- with theories with fairly predictable results coming
from many of these experimental areas, particularly in advertising and
training.

If one starts by Googling "measuring motivation" some very interesting and
informative material is available.

Continuing by Googling "measuring X" where X could be replaced by various
emotional and conscious states also produces interesting results.  For
example: measuring compassion.

While it is true, that we cannot observe [read: feel] the exact occurrences
in anyone's consciousness, the ability to predict behavior based on
inferences about conscious states from behaviors and electronic monitoring
is a part of science that shows great emergent progress.

Progress in predicting what people are feeling at a given time by
monitoring brain functions by various means is an area where progress is
being made:  Goggle: electronic monitoring of "conscious states" to begin
to explore what is going on in this area.

Psychology is a relatively young science and deals with very complex
phenomena.  Like many other pioneering endeavors there are many false
starts and bad results.  Rational skepticism is what drives progress here
and elsewhere in science.

But let us not be skeptical to the extent of: "Man will never fly."

w.

--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
art.deco.studios at gmail.com