[Vision2020] Highly religious people are less motivated by compassion than are non-believers

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Thu May 3 08:42:07 PDT 2012

Again:  Reading comprehension:

I wrote [emphasis added]:

"It's not enough to express skepticism *without giving reasons.*  Any fool
can do that.

If you want to exhibit more than arrogance, *criticize the experimental
design* of the multiple studies cited."

A asserts "X is true" giving reasons Y.  B says "I don't think X is true"
giving no reasons.  That's not skepticism, that's being foolishly,
playground contrary.  "Are not."  "Am so."

A asserts "X is true" based on several time consuming studies published
after peer review, B says "I don't think X is true" without giving reasons
why the the experimental design is flawed or any other cogent reasons
That's self-centered arrogance, and also shows lack of intellectual
integrity, to wit, dishonesty.

A skeptic C would say "X is doubtful because Z" where Z is an informed
critique of the experimental design and/or other cogent reasons why C
thinks the conclusions are in error..

C exhibits healthy, rational skepticism, the kind that advances knowledge;
that's the way science and everyday knowledge acquisition (and a
conscientious jury) works.  B exhibits blind skepticism, no different than
blind faith -- an assertion without evidence or justification.  Vigorously
encourage the former, reject the latter.

w.

--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
art.deco.studios at gmail.com