[Vision2020] "We are the answer"

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Fri Mar 30 22:24:33 PDT 2012

No, Paul, it is NOT "the main point of contention" that the Christ Church people "simply think that the historical facts of slavery differ from what's normally understood by historians" -- two of whose criticism of that view caused our thin-skinned patriarchal bigot Wilson to seek their censure by the Governor and the UI President.

Just to give you an idea of how generous Wilson is in his extension of the freedom of others to interfere with his mission . . .

Wilson's beliefs are made manifest in his words, and those words promote ideas that are dangerous to civil, stable society as you or I know it, and sound the death knell to anything resembling a flourishing, just and righteous -- or Christian -- society beyond that.  His proud claim to be a "paleo-Confederate," his buddying around with Neo-Confederates, his attempts to persuade his followers that Blacks enjoyed being enslaved and his insistence that such slavery was Biblical -- all of this hints, minimally, at something less than mere errors of historical understanding.  I'm a Bible student, not a scholar, but I can assure you that Antebellum slavery was in no way similar to Roman or earlier Hebraic slaveholding, and it was not at any point "Biblically defensible."  Given that he makes his living pulling the hermeneutical and political wool over other Christians' eyes, it damned well matters.

It's one thing to simply err in one's grasp of history.  I'm probably not the person to go to on the finer details of the Pelopennesian Wars, for example, but my errors would be inconsequential and subject to the derision they deserve if I choose to spout off on that of which I know nothing, although if I "see differently" in the service of a dangerous agenda, much less call that agenda "Christian," I deserve every bit of condemnation I incur.  I won't call you "evil" for it, but I struggle with how to tell you how little I care that you and others consider me "intolerant" for condemning Wilson and his lackeys (a term I used in speaking to him by phone three weeks ago, just in case you think I feel like it's OK to just scurry around Vision 2020 rather than engage courageously with him personally.  Been there, done that, will do it again any time he's up to it).

I laugh when, in the movie "Best In Show," the announcer intones that Columbus came over on the Mayflower.  Such ignorance is funny in reel life, sad in real life.  But I would urge you to really consider if all "different thinking" on historical, social, political, and religious matters is benign and worthy of defense.

In this case, we have an indefensible malignancy of the worst type -- that which invokes God.  Its spread won't be because I and a few others stayed silent in its metastasizing.

Keely
www.keely-prevailingwinds.com