[Vision2020] "Working together" (was "Question, V-Peeps . . .")

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 25 11:54:02 PDT 2012

Sure, there's plenty of room for those on both sides of this divide to
work on bridging that gap.  No question about it.  Is one person's
intolerance adequate reason to be intolerant yourself?  I don't think
so, but I seem to be alone in this.

Every Christian religion out there believes that people that don't
accept Christ's sacrifice will endure an eternity of hell.  Whether that
involves endless physical torture or simply being without God for
eternity, it's a pretty bleak scenario.  Yet I urge non-believers to be
tolerant of Christians, even if they believe these things.  You see
where I'm going with this?  I simply don't care what outrageous (in my
opinion) things a person believes.

I agree that Doug could find a nicer way of expressing his beliefs at
times.  As I say, there is room for more tolerance on both sides.

I disagree that it's impossible to work together, though.  My best
friend since Junior High (30+ years) is a member of the extended Christ
Church family.  We have discussed everything under the sun throughout
that time.  We have to be careful to agree to disagree on a number of
topics, but there is a surprising amount of topics that we can converse
on productively.  This often includes many of the big-name items that
cause so much strife on this list.  When you actually converse with
someone from Christ Church on these topics, you can often-times see
where they are coming from.  You might not agree, but you can see where
they are coming from based on their specific world view.  Still, even
though we disagree on a lot, my friend and I still help each other out
when they need it, we still give each other a shoulder to cry on, and we
still celebrate the good things in life.  Just like friends everywhere do.

I just hate seeing such a big rift in the community that I have lived
most of my life in.

Paul