[Vision2020] On Working Together

Nicholas Gier ngier006 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 09:38:43 PDT 2012

Thank you Keely for saying what I wanted to say but even more eloquently
and forcefully.

Let me just add one more attempt at "working with" Wilson.  In 2003 the
Pacific Northwest American Academy of Religion met on the UI campus.  I
invited NSA faculty and students to participate in the program and I have
extended that invitation year after year after then.  Under directions from
Roy Atwood and Doug Wilson they have refused to be part of regional
scholarship and fellowship on religious studies.

One year I counted the number of papers from evangelical colleges and
seminaries in our district and their faculty had 40 percent of the papers.
 Everyone gets along and respects one another and I have learned a lot from
their biblical scholars and theologians.  When the conference is in a
location where the evangelical schools are close, they attend in full
force--students and faculty.  Everyone except NSA.

Wilson has written an article about why most evangelical colleges and
seminaries are not really Christian.  He does not even dialogue with his
own close theological cousins.  It is either His Way or the Satanic Highway.

In the past I have advised NSA students on their senior theses and in 2003,
when I was invited to speak at their Friday colloquium, I extended an
invitation to work more with NSA students.  I still maintain a friendship
with an NSA faculty member who was one of our best philosophy students.

When I write something critical of NSA, my focus is on the leadership not
the students, whom I believe are well intentioned and better prepared for
college than most UI students. Every year I invite NSA students to enter
the AAR student paper contest for our region, and none have responded.  I'm
sure that they would be competitive if they were allowed to participate.

Paul and Jay: I'm not uptight about addressing people on this list by their
first names.  I find it unnerving to find (half way through a post) that
I'm actually the one being addressed.  It is really off-putting.  Please
call me "Nick" just as a courtesy and perhaps a little respect.

Yours for interfaith dialogue (even though some refuse to do it),

Nick