[Vision2020] Caturday (March 24, 2012)

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 24 19:49:46 PDT 2012

Cat's surviving high falls happens often enough that there is a name for
it: "high-rise syndrome" (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-rise_syndrome).

There was a study done in New York that found that cat's that fell a few
stories had less survivability as the height increased until they
reached something like 6 or 7 stories.  Higher than that and they had a
better chance of survival then they did at six or seven stories.
Something about the flying squirrel shape and the fact that they hit
terminal velocity at about that height.  In a way, once they hit
terminal velocity it wouldn't matter how far they fell.

Interesting stuff.

Paul