[Vision2020] We Don't Elect Pastors!

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Mar 22 12:06:45 PDT 2012

Courtesy of the Letters section of today's (March 22, 2012) Spokesman-Review with thanks to Donald Kobaly of Spirit Lake.

-----------------------------

We don’t elect pastors
One hundred years ago a small group of extremists forced Prohibition on an entire nation based solely on their personal religious belief that alcohol was evil for everyone. They destroyed the personal right of every adult who wanted to use alcohol regardless of the fact that the vast majority were responsible drinkers.

One hundred years after this Prohibition disaster, religious extremists are on the march again. What could America become if personal religious beliefs can be welded into governing our nation? Today Catholic and evangelical churches want to prohibit all abortions and birth control use for women.

Perhaps Jews will then insist that no one eat pork. The Muslims may demand no work on their Friday Sabbath. The Mormons may require after-death baptisms. The Westboro Baptist Church may want to legalize disrupting the funerals of dead soldiers.

America is a secular constitutional government, not a theocracy. Secular does not mean godless, because our Constitution guarantees the personal right to freedom of religion, as well as freedom from religion being imposed on us by government, religions or other people’s beliefs.

There is no difference between Islamic or Christian government. So should Americans elect a president or a pastor?

Donald Kobaly
Spirit Lake, Idaho

We live in a representative republic, NOT a theocracy.  Thank God!

This morning in Friendship Square . . .

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"If not us, who?
If not now, when?"