[Vision2020] Not All About the Sex

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Mar 21 01:38:22 PDT 2012

Courtesy of the Letters section of today's (March 21, 2012) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with thanks to Dick Adams of Moscow.

-----------------------------
Not all about the sex

It goes without saying that to have a discussion about homosexuality the act of sexual intercourse always comes up. See "Vacuous charge of hatred" (Daily News, Letters, March 16).  I'll be the first to admit that as a heterosexual I like to have sex with the opposite sex and don't find the other appealing. And I will be the first to admit that in my past I had a perverted view of homosexuality, generally based on just that, sexual intercourse.

It took someone close to me to help me realize that it isn't all about the sex, not that sex isn't an important part of any intimate relationship, but it's only a part. A member of the LGBT community is looking for a relationship with someone they can share their hopes, dreams, successes, failures and future with, just like a hetero does. Yes, if they become close, sex may happen, but just like heterosexuals, homosexuals are hoping to find someone they can share their life dreams with. To boil it down to only sex, whether for procreation (you would think their critics would be glad they can't "multiply and fill the earth") or recreation, only highlights your own perverseness and preoccupation with sex.

Too many Christians, obsessed with their perverse thoughts, are more concerned about hating something real or imagined than about caring.

Dick Adams
Moscow

I have been extremely fortunate to have enjoyed the past 38 years of my life married to a person who continues to enrich my soul with each kiss and my eager anticipation of tomorrow with each smile.

To deprive any two people of this experience, for reasons based solely on their own convictions, is WRONG!

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"If not us, who?
If not now, when?"

- Unknown