[Vision2020] What if other cartoonists . . .

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 19 18:52:21 PDT 2012

Abortion is an amazingly divisive issue.  It's a question for which I,
personally, don't have a simple answer to.  You have a continuum from
just conceived to just about to be born.  Where on that line does the
fetus become a baby?  Anytime before it would have been born naturally?
When it has developed certain organs?  When it could live on it's own
(with or without medical help) if it were delivered?  When it can first
feel pain or react to stimuli?  And then you have the conception side,
which brings up questions of potential life.  If full rights begin at
conception, then if a mother loses her baby for whatever reason early in
her pregnancy should she be brought up on charges of accidental
manslaughter, or something similar?

It's such a resoundingly hard problem that has so many aspects to it
that I can't believe we'll ever find an answer to it that everyone can
easily agree with.  For example, if you can determine very early in a
pregnancy that the baby has a debilitating disease and won't survive
it's first week after birth, would the moral thing be to let it come to
term and die horribly or take it's life now while it's not much more
than a developing organ?

Because of this complexity, I generally fall into two camps.  Those who
think abortion should be legal and those who think every option should
be explored other than abortion before an abortion takes place.  I can
see times when most people would agree that abortion should be allowed.
When neither the mother nor the baby is expected to survive the birth
process, for one simple example.  I can also see that taking abortion
lightly is dangerous.  In this I agree with Jay (if I'm understanding
his post correctly).  I'm for any reasonable measure to give the parents
more information and to re-think their options when contemplating having
an abortion.  I can also see my views on this topic changing because of
unexpected ideas or information that I've never run into before now or
have thought about very deeply.

I suggest strongly that everyone out there look with skepticism on those
who think they have a simple answer to this question.  That goes for the
"abortion is murder" crowd as well as the "it's a woman's body - she can
do what she likes" crowd.  I would also suggest that we respect each
other's points of view on this topic.

Paul