[Vision2020] What if other cartoonists . .(fetus image did notforward)

Jay Borden jborden at datawedge.com
Mon Mar 19 12:25:30 PDT 2012

Love the loaded questions.

No... of course a "higher abortion rate" isn't what I want to see.  But
by agreeing on that statement, it doesn't mean that I agree with any of
your other conclusions.

First, Western Europe's birthrates in general have been on the decline
for decades.  They're upside-down in their population-replacement rate.
Is it better sex education?  Is it the water? (So to speak?).  I have no
idea... but I'm not sure that the reverse of your conclusion ("war on
women = more abortion, so "less war on women means less abortion") is
true.

On your other post... I won't pretend to be armed enough to get into a
debate with a professor whose been bantering about the philosophy for
years.  Neither of us will solve any eons-old debate in regards to
abortion and core beliefs.

I will only comment on this:  the measurements presented are ones of
convenience.  Markers like "first trimester", "second trimester", and
"human being vs. person" are nice little categories created that allow
for simpler classification, and to make the decision process as clean
and clear-cut as possible in some very grey areas.

If the gestation period for a human is 9 months... that's 3 sets of 90
day periods.

If you want to mark the clock at 89 days and 23 hours and declare the
fetus "meat"... and then turn around and declare at 90 days 1 hour that
it's a "HUMAN"... I don't buy it or agree with it.  Life doesn't have
demarcation points on a graph.

If you want to eliminate the grey area... I personally believe that once
sperm hits egg you MORALLY have an obligation to let the dominoes
continue to fall.  Anything beyond that is just a way to rationalize the
process of abortion to make it more comfortable and acceptable.

I'm not a religious conservative, I'm just a conservative... but I feel
that this is much less a "war on women" and much more a "war on unborn
children"... the rights of women are collateral damage to a very ugly
topic.

Jay