[Vision2020] Legislative Newsletter IX March 5-9, 2012

Rep. Tom Trail ttrail at moscow.com
Sun Mar 11 18:45:03 PDT 2012

Legislative Newsletter 9---March 5-9/2012

Dear Constituents:

Well, the Ides of March are well on the way, and hopefully we will
have only two weeks more of the Idaho Legislature before we close up shop
and head out of Dodge.  The
Republican caucus process seemed to work well with about 44,000 turning
out statewide to cast their presidential votes.  Idaho was also fortunate to attract
a number of Presidential candidates who came in the State to campaign.
 Jim Weatherby, an astute
political observer here in Boise, pointed that in the primary in 2008 that
about 140,000 Republicans voted as contrasted with the 44,000 who voted
last Tuesday. He feels that the caucus system tends to disenfranchise many
of our citizens.  I did get
several calls from residents who were out of state who wondered where they
could get absentee ballots.  This won't work with the caucus
system.

I remember that in 2000 that we had a change-over of about 30 seats
in the Legislature.  This
normally occurs after redistricting.
We could very well see 30-35 new faces in the Legislature in 2013.
 Ten senators are stepping
down, and this represents some 118 years of service, and the 15 members of
the House stepping down represent 172 years of combined service. A total
of nine chairmanship positions will need to be filled.    So we will be losing a
great deal of institutional memory; however, this is part of our
democratic process.

The University of Idaho Flagship issue continues to simmer.  I've received numerous e mails and
calls from alumni, faculty, staff, and students who are outraged by the
State Board's decision to strike the flagship designation from the UI's
mission statement.  According
to the Black Journal of Education this now leaves 49 states with
designated flagship institutions.  The State Board Chairman stated,
"Work together to capitalize on Idaho's strengths and position
ourselves to benefit from a stronger economy."  He misses the point that if you are
capitalizing on your strengths, you don't make every college an identical
image.  If you are capitalizing
on the economy, you advertise that which increases enrollment.  Each university could claim an
undeniable designation of leadership in some areas.  We certainly wouldn't want to take
away BSU's claim to being football flagship.  However, if you take away
Idaho’s claims in engineering, research, and proven academic
strengths,  enrollment will be
reduced.  The Board's decision
reveals a complete lack of common sense and penchant for micromanaging.
 We need to get back to the
real issues that our institutions face and that belong to the schools.
 In the meanwhile, legislators
who support the UI's flagship position are developing a strongly worded
letter which will be presented to the Board at its April meeting in
Moscow.

The House voted 65-0 to restore three cuts accounting for $1.5
million of the $35 million it slashed from Medicaid programs last
year.  The restored cuts to the
disabled include treatment for more than one mental or developmental
condition and preventative dental care.   House Committee Chairwoman
Janice McGeachin said lawmakers didn't fully comprehend the consequences
that would result from last year's cuts.  Frankly, many of us did realize what
the impact would be.  I was
contacted by a mother whose 11 year old son needed extensive dental work.
 She could not find a dentist
in North Idaho who would accept her son as a patient and finally located a
dentist in Liberty Lake, Washington who would do the job.  It is also obvious that our failure
to adequately provide funding for mental illnesses has actually increased
the cost to counties with added impact on the state's emergency fund.
 JFAC also came up with
$110,000 to restore an Idaho suicide hotline.  This will be coupled with private
donations.  This is a badly
needed service.  Idaho ranks in
the top five states in terms of the number of suicides each
year.

The bill to increase the tax on cigarettes will be introduced in
the House Rev and Tax Committee on March 12th.  Statistics indicate that 80% of
smokers started smoking before the age of 18.  If the bill passes, then the added
revenues could be utilized to fund smoking prevention programs and also
pick up some of the slack from last year's Medicaid cuts.

There will also be discussion concerning the setting of traffic
speed laws and revise the method that speed limits are set on state
highways located in cities.  Allowing local elected officials to
determine these speed limits was a good idea.  However, the new legislation would
require the Department of Transportation or the City to do a traffic study
and then sit down together to determine the appropriate speed limits based
on community information.
Local control will be reduced if this happens.

Funding for UI Ag research was recommended by JFAC.  In addition, the budget for the 2013
fiscal year includes a 2 percent pay raise for employees as well as
additional money to cover increases in employee benefits costs  The total increase is for a 4.6
percent increase from the current year's budget.  Last year we managed to protect Ag
research from any cuts.  Agriculture is a major economic
force in Idaho with almost $7 billion in farm gate sales plus the value
added aspects it contributes to the economy.

Please send me your comments and recommendations. My e mail is
ttrail at house.idaho.gov or thomasftrail at gmail.com.    My phone is
208-332-1184.
  Rep. Tom
Trail