[Vision2020] Goesling gets grilled

Ron Force rforce2003 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 9 10:13:04 PST 2012

Goesling could have told Sen. Pearce that college graduates are more likely to marry, and less likely to divorce. Financial stability may have something to do with it.

Ron Force
Moscow Idaho USA

Board of Education appointee faces tough questions from Idaho senators
By William L. Spence of the Tribune | Posted: Friday, March 9, 2012 12:00 am
BOISE - The Senate Education Committee grilled William
Goesling for 30 minutes Thursday, asking questions about flagships,
social values and soaring tuition costs.
Goesling, a retired naval aviator who lives in Moscow, was appointed
to the State Board of Education last spring. His confirmation hearing
was Thursday.
The first question came from Sen. Monty Pearce, R-New Plymouth, who wanted to know what Goesling could do about the rising
cost of college.
He said efforts to help students earn college credits while they're still in high school is a step in the right direction.
There also needs to be greater scrutiny and less duplication of programs between institutions.
"We cannot afford three full-blown research
institutions," he said. "So what do we do? We begin by looking at the
missions of each of those institutions, where there are overlaps, where
there are gaps. That begins driving costs down because we don't have as
much duplication."
Goesling previously taught in the ROTC programs at
the University of Idaho and Washington State University. He also taught
in UI's business program and has a doctorate in higher education
administration.
He served four years on the Moscow School Board and
seven years on the state Public Charter School Commission before being
appointed to the higher education board.
Sen. John Goedde, R-Coeur d'Alene, noted Goesling
didn't say much during the state board's February meeting, when it
unanimously agreed to remove language from UI's mission statement
designating it as Idaho's "flagship" university.
Referring to the board's goal that 60 percent of
Idahoans age 25 to 34 have post-secondary degrees by 2020, Goesling said "if we're going to achieve the capacity needed to meet that goal, we
need to do it in a collaborative way. That's why I voted to remove the
word."
Pearce referred to a magazine article about the
benefits of marriage and wondered what colleges and universities can do
to bring Idaho's future leaders back towards more traditional social
values.
"The pendulum has swung pretty far, and universities
(were part of the reason for that)," he said. "Is there a chance to move it back a little ways?"
Goesling said a better job must be done to "challenge institutions of higher education to look beyond their past."
"We tend to look back, instead of looking forward at
what we can do to help society," he said. "That's one of my concerns
about STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics): We put so much emphasis on that, we aren't dealing with the social issues wrapped around it. How do we deliver education to single parents? We have to
get on those bigger issues."
The committee will vote on Goesling's confirmation next week. It then goes to the full Senate for final action.
---
Spence may be contacted at bspence at lmtribune.com or (208) 791-9168.