[Vision2020] What is Wrong With this Statement . . .

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Wed Mar 7 16:51:30 PST 2012

Beware when someone says they're a "classical liberal."  They usually have not a liberal, progressive, or even generous bone in their civic bodies, and instead will try to convince you that their Randian Libertarianism is really a virtuous "liberalism" of days gone past.  I don't know Mr. Williams, but I think that the term "classical liberalism" is murky enough these days that it describes quite the opposite of what anyone would imagine, and certainly not what most people mean when they would describe themselves as liberals.  I trust Williams would agree that the term, once historically specific, perhaps, is no longer.

So . . . I'm aware of the term and its usage in history.  I'm also aware that it sounds better these days than -- and I'm not referring to Williams here -- if one were instead to say they're merely part of the "God, guns, gold, and grains" crowd.  The only "4G" association I want to have is by way of my smart phone, not with the other "four Gs" and those who use, and benefit from, popular misunderstanding of the term "classic liberalism" as they describe their politics.

Also, is Mr. Williams an organic constitutionalist, or does he also accept and embrace those amendments after the original Bill of Rights -- such as those guaranteeing, say, birthright citizenship or the extension of the voting franchise to Blacks and to women?

Keely
www.keely-prevailingwinds.com