[Vision2020] "Hate speech at my US Post Office" (a letter)

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 6 11:08:15 PST 2012

I know we're coming from different directions on this one, but I don't feel the need to rebuke anyone.  What they do and how they think, assuming they aren't harming others, is entirely up to themselves and whatever God or gods they might believe in.  Leaving a trollish comment on a piece of paper in a public place is not harming me, even if I see it, so it's no concern of mine.  People who read that kind of thing and think "right on!" aren't going to be swayed by cold reason.

When posting on forums on the Internet, it's far better to respond to that kind of post with condescending wit than to post an indignant response.  They don't care about the actual topic, they just want to see what kind of outrage they can generate and then sit back and enjoy the show.  If you respond to their actual point, whether with vitriol of your own or with a carefully crafted and reasoned response, they just come back and say something even more outrageous just to keep the topic alive.  Again, they don't really care about the topic at hand that much.  They just know that people out there do care about it passionately.  Calling them on their trolling seems to have the best success of making them go away.  It changes it from like 1% to 4%, probably.

So when this guy comes back to the Post Office to see if anyone has taken his bait, he'll get a good laugh at that guy's response and probably write something demeaning on it and leave it there.  If he sees that he's been made fun of publicly, he'll probably just throw it away because it's bait that wasn't taken and that made him look like a fool for a while.

The best response, though, in my humble opinion, would be to just forget about it and mail your letter or whatever.

Paul