[Vision2020] Fw: Isn't it ironic

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 09:02:42 PST 2012

Roger,

Perhaps you need to find better and more comprehensive sources of
information than the Genesee Grange.

"Do not feed the animals" signs in national parks have little to do with
wild animals becoming on dependent on humans to feed them.

They are wild animals.  Feeding them by humans has leesd to many attacks on
humans, and due this, tragically many such animals having to be put down.

They are wild animals.  They cannot digest many of the things people give
them.  Some sicken and die.  Others just sicken.

Ron Force has given you one set of statistics showing your belief that
there are jobs for everyone is a cruel and dangerous myth.  Just below is
an article with further sets of data about jobs and the poor.

Further, "able bodied" is not the whole story either, even if there were
jobs enough for everyone.  Mental health issues make it difficult for some
adults to get and to hold jobs.

There are some that are physically and mentally able to work at jobs that
are available, but these are but a very small percentage.  About 85% of
government aid (welfare) goes to children, the disabled, and the elderly.

W.

 [image: The New York Times] <http://www.nytimes.com/>

------------------------------
December 2, 2011
Newt’s War on Poor Children By CHARLES M. BLOW

Newt Gingrich has reached a new low, and that is hard for him to do.

Nearly two weeks after claiming that child labor laws are “truly
stupid<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvCXwjj3Uf0>”
and implying that poor children should be put to work as janitors in their
schools, he now
claims<http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2011/12/01/newt-poor-children-have-no-habits-working>that
poor children don’t understand work unless they’re doing something
illegal.

On Thursday, at a campaign stop in Iowa, the former House speaker said,
“Start with the following two facts: Really poor children in really poor
neighborhoods have no habits of working and have nobody around them who
works. So they literally have no habit of showing up on Monday. They have
no habit of staying all day. They have no habit of ‘I do this and you give
me cash’ unless it’s illegal.” (His second “fact” was that every first
generational person he knew started work early.)

This statement isn’t only cruel and, broadly speaking, incorrect, it’s
mind-numbingly tone-deaf at a time when poverty is rising in this country.
He comes across as a callous Dickensian character in his attitude toward
America’s most vulnerable — our poor children. This is the kind of
statement that shines light on the soul of a man and shows how dark it is.

Gingrich wants to start with the facts? O.K.

First, as I’ve pointed out
before<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/17/opinion/blow-for-jobs-its-war.html?_r=2>,
three out of four poor working-aged adults — ages 18 to 64 — work. Half of
them have full-time jobs and a quarter work part time.

Furthermore, according to an analysis of census data by Andrew A.
Beveridge, a sociologist at Queens College, most poor children live in a
household where at least one parent is employed. And even among children
who live in extreme poverty — defined here as a household with income less
than 50 percent of the poverty level — a third have at least one working
parent. And even among extremely poor children who live in extremely poor
areas — those in which 30 percent or more of the population is poor —
nearly a third live with at least one working parent.

For this analysis, the most granular national data available — census areas
with 100,000 or more people — were compared. For reference, New York City
has 55 of these areas. You’d have to slice the definition of neighborhoods
rather thinly to find a few areas that support Gingrich’s position.

Lastly, Gingrich vastly overreaches by suggesting that a lack of money
universally correlates to a lack of morals. Yes, poverty presents increased
risk factors for crime. But, encouragingly, data show that even as more
Americans have fallen into poverty in recent years, the crime rate
over all<http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/fbi-releases-2010-crime-statistics>—
and, specifically, among juveniles — has dropped.

“Facts” are not Gingrich’s forte. Yet he is now the Republican
front-runner. It just goes to show how bankrupt of compassion and allergic
to accuracy that party is becoming.

I invite you to join me on Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/CharlesMBlow>and follow me on
Twitter <http://twitter.com/CharlesMBlow>, or e-mail me at