[Vision2020] Fw: Isn't it ironic

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 3 19:45:16 PST 2012

Roger,

The problem isn't that people in dire need of assistance aren't looking for work, it is that they already have two jobs and still cannot afford basic needs. Corporations have found it easier to spend money on politicians keeping wages low than to pay workers a wage that they can subsist on. It is easier to let the government house and feed your workers than to pay them enough to do it on their own.

Working full time doesn't mean you get what you need to survive.

Do the math, a wage of $7.50 an hour, 19% federal and state income tax, 6% tax on all food and items purchased, and you take home $5.65 a hour, x 35 hours and you get $197 a week to live on. That isn't going to cover your living expenses. Medical alone can easily run $200-$1000 a month. Food can be $200-$500, and housing is gonna be around $500 per adult plus utilities. Without assistance, most lower income families would not make it.

I really do not understand WHY people get so upset about hard working poor people accepting a few dollars of assistance to feed their children when we have large greedy corporations sucking 100s of billions off the taxpayers, slashing jobs, stealing houses, and refusing to pay workers a living wage? Where is the focus here? Paying a person $7.25 an hour for their time and labor is theft and exploitation of the worker.

Donovan Arnold