[Vision2020] eBooks

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 30 09:55:42 PDT 2012

I bought a Kindle second generation as soon as they came out.  I don't buy physical books any more unless they are really cheap or I'm on vacation or something.  It's much easier to browse Amazon's book selection right on the Kindle, buy one, and have it delivered to you Kindle in a few seconds.

The e-ink display I think is a must if you plan to read for long periods of time.  No "flashlight in your eyes" effect that you get from a tablet, phone, laptop, or desktop.  I'll occasionally use the Android Kindle app to read one of the books I have in my electronic collection (around 50 right now) on my phone if I'm waiting for someone or something and don't have my Kindle on me.

One of these days I'll make a project of finding a way (legal or otherwise) to strip the DRM from the e-books I buy from Amazon so I can back them up in case there is ever a problem (such as Amazon going out of business or getting out of the e-book business).  I haven't worried too much about it since it stays out of your way and I don't have another e-book reader to try to transfer them to.  The DRM is the only real downside I've found, and I can live with it for now.

Paul