[Vision2020] So, This is What Being a Libertarian is All About . . .

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 05:46:38 PDT 2012

If the question is are the Pauls MORE libertarian than other
candidates, then this answer might lead me to say "yes." Not too
surprising. But if someone is going to take the trouble to call
himself a "libertarian" as opposed to say a "fiscal conservative,"
then he had better hold views worthy of the name. But there is no more
hot-button topic when it comes to government intrusion on private
lives than abortion. Sure it is just one example but, were the Pauls
consistent, they SHOULD be open to other ways in which the government
can tell folks what to do about their private lives, given that they
can tell them when and if to have children.

Here is a humorous fictional conversation to help illustrate my point
and why I think it defeats your reply.

Paul: Fred is tolerant and open-minded.
Joe: No he's not. He's a bigot. He is prejudiced against Puerto Ricans.
Paul: Yes but he likes African Americans, Asians, other Latinos, gays,
lesbians ... You name it. He is only prejudiced against Puerto Ricans.
All of the other candidates are prejudiced, for instance, against gays
and lesbians as well.
Joe: Well, whatever he is, Fred is NOT tolerant and open-minded. He's a bigot.

Really the Pauls view is this: Keep government out of our private
lives -- except in those cases where government intrusion into private
lives is acceptable according to my personal beliefs. EVERYONE has
that view.

I'm no libertarian but apparently when it comes to social issues I am
a LOT more libertarian than the Pauls. Likely I share some of their
personal views on abortion. But opinions about private matters like
family planning and philosophical beliefs about the origin of life
have no bearing on what others should do in their private lives. The
government should keep out of private lives unless there are obvious
harms to obvious persons. Longstanding and intractable philosophical
disputes have no place when making laws and restricting behavior.
Anyone who believes otherwise is (among other things) not a
libertarian.