[Vision2020] 6-19-12: Sen. Kerry Condemns Climate Disinformation Campaign on US Senate Floor

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 14:34:09 PDT 2012

I found at least one misrepresentation of climate science in US
Senator John Kerry's recent speech on climate change to the US Senate,
though on the whole I though his speech thoughtful and much needed,
and it should be receiving far more media coverage.  In fact, the fact
this US Senate speech has not received the widespread coverage is
deserves, reminds me of the similar lack of widespread coverage of the
following in-depth 2009 MIT peer reviewed study, the result of years
of scienfitic work:
http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2009/roulette-0519.html

Kerry stated that methane is 20 times more powerful as a greenhouse
gas than CO2, which is frequently stated.  But in part given methane's
much shorter atmospheric lifespan, its GWP (Global Warming Potential)
is far less than 20 times CO2; some sources claim 2 or 3 times more
powerful.  Methane can be released from sources in the Arctic as
dramatic warming there increases; and what is not often stated is that
rice cultivation is one of the main anthropogenic methane release
sources. Interesting recent discussion of this issue from
Realclimate.org:
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2012/06/methane-game-upgrade/
Sen. Kerry Condemns Climate Disinformation Campaign, Challenges
Washinton's "Conspiracy of Silence"

http://www.climatesciencewatch.org/2012/06/20/sen-kerry-condemns-climate-disinformation-campaign-and-challenges-washingtons-conspiracy-of-silence/