[Vision2020] Ques. For you: What is Most Important in a Relationship?

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Fri Jul 20 10:39:50 PDT 2012

On 7/20/2012 6:42 AM, Donovan Arnold wrote:
<[snip]>
> PS. Learning another language is an excellent idea, but has to be done
> at a very young age. Otherwise it is just memorization and the words
> don't have the emotionial conncetion they are intented to, they are
> simply functionial. I can learn Spanish written but not spoken because
> I cannot hear certain sounds used in the Spanish language that are not
> in the English language. After a certain age, your brain reassignes
> the portions of the brain that were dedeicated to hearing and
> speaking certain sounds for other functions if not used in childhood.

Language learning can be done at any age. It's true that younger people
may have more facile learning abilities because of less-developed
language centers in their brains and more energy to do everything,
language learning included. But that does not imply that adults can not,
especially via well-developed methods, learn languages to as effective
and as satisfactory levels of communicative ability as are desired.

Methods used may vary somewhat depending on personal preferences, but
generally a method that follows natural language acquisition patterns
will work best if followed consistently. The natural method consists of
listening to hear all of the sounds used within a language, whether or
not those sounds have been previously learned for another or native
tongue, and then reproducing those sounds through speaking words,
phrases, sentences, and conversations with those sounds as a part of the
speech. After a learner can reproduce all of a language's sounds, and
can converse at a elementary level with a modest vocabulary, then
vocabulary building can be emphasized through readings and more advanced
conversations. After some reasonable level of oral and verbal fluency
has been achieved, then the student can start learning more about the
language by beginning and practicing writing in that language.

There is an active, and growing, natural language learning community on
the Internet, especially YouTube, comprised of individuals who are
actively pursuing multilingual capabilities for themselves. By way of
introduction, I will mention just a couple of web sites for people
interested in learning languages, multilingualism, polyglottery, and
polyliteracy:

The How to Learn Any Language site, including various language forums:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/e/index.html

The Foreign Language Expertise site, created and maintained by Dr.
Alexander Arguelles:

http://www.foreignlanguageexpertise.com/

Ken