[Vision2020] Fwd: About Evidence

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 13:36:13 PDT 2012

Slipped again.  Thank you, Ken

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kenneth Marcy <kmmos1 at frontier.com>
Date: Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:38 PM
Subject: Re: [Vision2020] About Evidence
To: Art Deco <art.deco.studios at gmail.com>

 Wayne:

Did you intend to send this to Donovan rather than to me?

Ken

On 7/18/2012 12:17 PM, Art Deco wrote:

Donovan:

You have not addressed the questions asked.  You merely use unproven claims
to attempt to avoid answering the questions, to wit:

Exactly what is the "testament" of 6 billion people?  Do these so-called
testaments agree with each other?  What exactly is the evidential component
of their evidence?

At one time most living beings thought the world was flat.  Is the world
flat?

At one time most living beings though mental illness was caused by
possession by devils/demons/etc?  Are devils/demons/etc the cause of mental
illness?

At one time most living beings thought the sun revolved around the earth.
Does the sun revolve around the earth?

You have failed to understand the problem of asserting knowledge claims
without verifiable evidence.  Just because someone is greatly enamored by a
fantasy does not mean it is true.  A theory is true if it leads to true
predictions, else not.

If people want to believe in various gods and goddesses, but do attempt to
force others to act in accordance with their beliefs, the problem becomes
greatly diminished.  It becomes a problem when some says "My God dictates
that you shall do X or shall not do Y" and then passes laws without any or
very little other evidence based justification to enforce this fantasy.

That's called theocracy or religious dictatorship.  It leads to things like
The Inquisition and The Crusades.  You can choose to enable such, but for
many us unwilling to sacrifice personal freedom and what we believe the
overall well being of humankind and other beings, no thanks.

w.

--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
art.deco.studios at gmail.com