[Vision2020] Thank you for Clarifications

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 11:30:46 PDT 2012

One question that comes to mind in issues of historical displays is the
purpose.  Is the display meant to inform/remind  and/or has it the intent
to glorify?

I don't know who Mr. Gilmore is or his motives.

However, given all the historical significances of the Civil War, the
events leading up to it, the aftermath, and the symbolism most of us
associate with the Confederate Flag, I thought the amount of prominence
given to the flag in the display was way, way too much.  To one walking
into the lobby of the courthouse, the display immediately impacts one as a
glorification of the Confederacy.  Its appearance in the most prominent
spot of the courthouse suggests an endorsement by the county government of
the Confederacy like a manger scene would suggest an endorsement of
Christianity.

Most of us would probably have no objection to a small photo or other
representation of the flag in the exhibit, but by the flag's prominent size
and position, it dwarfs everything else in the display, the courthouse
lobby, and the nearby flags of our country and state.

The Civil War was an enormously horrific event.  An objective display might
have emphasized those horrors and their precursors, among them the
transport, sale, inhumane treatment, and use of slaves, in such a way that
we might try to avoid engaging in such events again.

Perhaps this is a teachable moment for the county commissioners:  an exact
description and graphic rendering of what any display would look like is
needed prior to approval especially when the display is the most prominent
visual element upon entering the courthouse lobby.

w.

--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
art.deco.studios at gmail.com