[Vision2020] Legislative Newsletter II, Jan 15-21, 2012

Rep. Tom Trail ttrail at moscow.com
Thu Jan 26 06:39:39 PST 2012

LEGISLATIVE
NEWSLETTER II—JANUARY 15-21/2012
 Constituents:
 The
second week of the Idaho Legislative session was probably highlighted with
the abundant moisture in the form of rain and snow that hit Boise and the
Idaho mountains.  Farmers,
skiers, Avista and Idaho Power were at least reassured that the Gods of
Fortune had not forgotten them.    House State Affairs is
moving ahead to hear a bill on prohibiting camping on State grounds around
the Capitol.   Occupiers have been camping out for the past
several months.  I went over
several times to talk to these folks but no one was there.  Concerns relate to the fact that the
campers are destroying the grass and shrubs, the camp is unsightly, and
that there are health concerns.
Legislators indicate that the bill is no way restricts First
Amendment Rights so that protestors can still gather on State property to
communicate their message to the world.  Here are some other happenings of
the week:
 Meeting with the
Governor  —  I had a 40 minute one-on-one
meeting with Governor Otter in which I discussed the following
issues:
 Idaho Health
Exchange:  I wanted to ask the Governor for
additional information concerning the proposed Idaho Health Exchange.
 The Exchanges were envisioned
by the health care reforms as transparent, online marketplaces where
individuals and small businesses could compare and shop for coverage.
 The Governor originally
suggested that the stakes for not setting up a state Exchange were high.
 He said we are at risk of
having our Medicaid participation level drop from 70-30 to 50-50, a
significant loss, since (the Federal government currently pays 70% of
Medicaid funding relative to Idaho’s 30%). (Basically, if we do not
go forward with an insurance Exchange, the Affordable Health Care Act,
could result in this drop from 70-30 to 50-50).  He estimated that this would lead to
an increased burden to Idaho of up to $300 million if the Exchange were
not in place by the end of 2012.   Idaho received a $20.3 million grant
to establish the Exchange.  The
Governor indicated that it will afford the state more control in important
policy considerations, like establishing minimum benefit requirements
acceptable to Idaho insurers.  Idaho is among 26 states suing to
throw out the health care reforms’ requirement that everyone buy
health insurance.  The Governor
noted that if the state does not adopt a federally certified state run
Exchange, the feds are going to impose a federal Exchange, and that this
will make it worse for small businesses.  The Supreme Court will hear argument
on the case in late March and a final decision will be presented around
the first of July.  One of the
negative aspects of the $70 million in Medicaid cuts made by the State
last session is that Idaho lost about $150 million in Federal matching
funds and there is abundant evidence that the cuts were devastating to
many low income families.  The
Governor’s Office also calculated that the cuts to Medicaid cost
Idaho about 4,000 related Jobs.  I support the Governor’s
proposal for the Health Exchange.
 HB37---the legalization of medical
marijuana -  The Governor asked many questions
about the bill.  I noted that
the legislation was drafted following the State of New Jersey’s
legislation—considered by many to be the toughest in the U.S.  HB370 focuses only on legally
providing Medical marijuana under a physician’s recommendation to
patients with long term chronic/debilitating diseases and suffering severe
pain.  HB370 does not allow the
growing of medical marijuana by a patient.  Medical marijuana would be available
through state controlled dispensaries and monitored by  the Idaho State Police.  Governor Otter noted that he would
contact Gov. Chris Christie in New Jersey about their experiences.
 Upper Lochsa
Exchange  - This is an issue of great interest
to many citizens in North Idaho.  In my discussion with the Governor,
he felt that this was more of a federal (US Forest Service) and private
enterprise (Western Pacific Timber) situation and that the State really
did not have much involvement.  I told him that literally thousands
of Idaho citizens were very upset with the entire process and that he
should be aware of it.

Other
Redistricting—The
Idaho Supreme Court on Wednesday rejected the proposed map for redrawing
the state’s legislative districts saying it split too many counties
to be legal.  The court ordered
the six member redistricting commission back to work.  Later in the week, Republicans
announced a House cleaning.  The Speaker said he planned to fire
his appointee to the panel, former GOP Rep. Dolores Crow of Nampa.  The Speaker criticized that Crow did
not do enough to protect the party’s interest.  Republican Party Chairman Semanko
followed suit, telling Randy Hansen, his appointee, to quit or be fired.
 The Idaho Attorney
General’s Office said that redistricting commissioners likely
can’t be fired.  And so
the redistricting process goes on as Commissioners will meet on this
coming Thursday in Boise.  Filing dates for state legislative
offices is Feb 24-March 9th and it would be advantageous
if candidates knew where their constituencies were located.
 Economic News—Idaho’s
unemployment rate is about 8.2 percent a small drop from last month.  Many citizens are not counted in
these figures because their unemployment benefits have run out and they
may have stopped looking for work.  The number of Idaho families on food
stamps is estimated to be around 240,000 which is at an all time high.
 Economists are still
predicting that it will take another 2-3 years to significantly move out
of this long and record setting recession.
 I’d
appreciate hearing from you with your comments, etc.

 My e mail is ttrail at house.idaho.gov or
thomasftrail at gmail.com.
My
desk phone is 332-1184 or floor phone at 332-1260.
 Rep.
Tom Trail