[Vision2020] Tom Trail Introduces Medical Marijuana Legislation

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Jan 26 02:22:22 PST 2012

Courtesy of today's (January 26, 2012) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

------------------------------

Tom Trail introduces medical marijuana legislation
By, Brandon Macz Daily News staff writer
Rep. Tom Trail says he has no misgivings about medical marijuana legislation he introduced last week even if it doesn't make it out of committee, but will continue to advocate legalization to keep the issue alive in Boise.
House Bill 370 would allow those with qualifying medical conditions to obtain medical marijuana through registration cards issued by the director of the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare that would be good for two years before needing renewal. Primary caregivers would also need to register and be licensed with IDHW and pass a background check to dispense marijuana through a treatment center under the bill. The state could impose application and licensing fees.
The bill has been assigned to the House Judiciary, Rules and Administration Committee, "which is kind of the death knell of unwanted bills by leadership," said Trail.
"I don't anticipate any success in the election year ... we'll try to keep the issue alive," he said. "If we get a hearing, great, but I doubt it very, very much."
The bill would protect qualifying medical marijuana recipients from state prosecution, adding while the federal government prohibits all marijuana use, the state is not required to enforce those laws. The legislation would also dismiss the state and its agencies from liability claims from any wrongdoings from a medical marijuana recipient. The bill would allow a medical marijuana patient to obtain up to two ounces of marijuana in a 28-day period.
Trail said legalization of medical marijuana is spreading in states across the country and it's time for Idaho to get on board as there are currently patients with terminal or debilitating diseases that are left either suffering or leaving the state to acquire prescriptions in neighboring Oregon, which negatively impacts the tax base.
Bill, the director for 45th Parallel, a nonprofit medical marijuana co-op in Ontario, Ore., has spoken with Trail about the increasing number of Idahoans coming into his state for medical marijuana prescriptions - Oregon does not require successful applicants to be residents - and returning to Idaho where they face prosecution.
Bill, who did not want his last name used, said he is seeing more and more Idaho transplants arriving at his co-op, who say they sold their homes and moved to Oregon so they or a family member could obtain medical marijuana without fear of prosecution. He said many who come in from Idaho were referred there by their physicians.
"It's just been happening nonstop since we've been here," said Bill. "We get calls every day from people in cities in Idaho and other states. Something's got to be done in Idaho. People are going to be in trouble. ... Either the Legislature is going to pass it or people are going to put it on the ballot and pass it. They're out there gathering signatures, probably even as we speak."
Trail said he modeled his legislation around New Jersey's, which is the toughest of any of the 16 states and Washington, D.C., that allows medical marijuana distribution, and he would rather see a compromise with other Idaho legislators on the matter than an organization petition to get an initiative on Idaho ballots.
"I think in the long-term trend, you will see it come about," said Trail of medical marijuana in Idaho.
---------------
House Bill 370
http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/legislation/2012/H0370.pdf
Representative Tom Trail

Is there ANY reason why this much needed, conscientious concern (aka "medical marijuana") should not become a reality?

Seeya later, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
Post Falls, Idaho

"If not us, who?