[Vision2020] More Proof Preventative Health Care Saves

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 18 14:07:06 PST 2012

Jay,

There are two gaping holes in your arguments of why the universal health care system would not work better and cost less.

The first is that it is already working better in almost every other modern civilized country. So there is no speculation that it would increase health care for almost everyone and would decrease costs. It has even been wildly successful in the United States where it has been tried, like in Florida.

Second, we are not talking about "other people's money." We are talking about "their money". Just spending it in a more effective manner. Don't they deserve that respect of their dollars? They would be paying premiums, co-pays, and deductibles, and taxes.  So for those that decided to waste the government subsidies as you claim, would also be wasting their own money and time getting the unneeded mammograms and prostate exams you think they would be so eager to get with new found access to health care.

I don't completely dismiss your claim that some monies would be wasted by some people insisting their doctors give them medications and tests they really don't need.  There would also be people getting assistance that would have otherwise not had health care of any kind at any time. However, all of that so-called-waste fails to compare to the waste we spend on treatment for illnesses and diseases that we would have prevented and now have to pay for because they qualify for Medicaid or end up in an emergency room. It is like the government  refusing to help the poor with costs of oil changes but paying 90% of engine repair. It is a horribly wasteful.

It doesn't take a genius or mathematician to understand that a 65 year old women who becomes eligible for Medicare who hasn't seen a doctor since she was 40 is going to cost the taxpayer much more money than if she could access one for those 25 years and could also pay more into the system.

Cost saving and greater access has already been established as fact using preventive care and Universal Health Care. So you are only arguing with the facts that Universal Health Care works better than the "pay nothing now but 10 times more later health care system" we have now.

The only factual argument against Universal Health Care is the philosophical one; that it is better to let people suffer from no or limited access to medical care than to suffer the knowledge that their premiums were paid to the government instead of to a for profit corporation.

Donovan Arnold