[Vision2020] Budget cuts could slash $1B from vets health care

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 3 19:11:26 PST 2012

Joe,

What's the logic in keeping Philosophy?

Donovan Arnold

________________________________
 From: Joe Campbell <philosopher.joe at gmail.com>
To: Sue Hovey <suehovey at moscow.com>
Cc: vision2020 at moscow.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 3, 2012 7:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Budget cuts could slash $1B from vets health care

Not just the military would appreciate you Sue!

All of us in eduction -- especially higher ed -- are asked to do the same. Imagine the luck I'll have in raising money for Philosophy! Nonetheless, those are the cards with which we are dealt. I've always seen my challenge as trying to explain why Philosophy is relevant -- not that I've been successful at it yet.

Things have not changed too much. What is significant is the thought that we might lose philosophy if the public doesn't see it as relevant. That we've worked ourselves to that very point is worrisome. What next? The arts? Still, no more worrisome than other recent threats to education.

Best, Joe