[Vision2020] Rep. Trail announces run for Latah County Commissioner

Rep. Tom Trail ttrail at moscow.com
Tue Feb 21 16:20:43 PST 2012

Constituents:

I’ve
just released the following news via a press release.    I  will be engaging in
a potentially different political arena in the  future, but will still be
serving the District 6 constituents as a  member of the Idaho House of
Representatives until November 30, 2012.

Rep. Tom Trail

PRESS RELEASE

Rep. Tom
Trail announces run for Latah County Commissioner.  Rep. Trail announced today that he
will be seeking the Republican nomination for the District 1 Latah County
Commissioner seat.   Trail
said, “I am grateful to the voters of District 6 allowing me to
represent them in the Idaho House of Representatives.  I’ve  enjoyed my work in the
House, but I have decided it is time for me to  focus my efforts on
supporting my Latah County constituents.  This decision was reached after
talking to my family and Latah County citizens.”

Further,
Trail indicated, “I’m running for County Commissioner because
I feel  the experience and knowledge I have gained as state representative
will  directly benefit Latah County.”  Trail’s  priorities include
economic development, supporting local input in  decisions made in Boise,
providing common sense values to local issues,  and assuring our county
lives within its means while addressing  important county government
functions necessary to the quality of life  we have all come to desire.

As  a state
representative, Trail has served for the past 16 years on the  Education,
Agricultural Affairs, and the Commerce and Human Resources
Committees.  Trail prides
himself in serving constituents needs and his motto is “Constituents
First.”  Trail is a
lifelong resident of Latah County and lives on the family farm east of
Moscow.

Trail wants
to thank his constituents for their support in returning him to the House
of Representatives for eight terms.
“The tremendous amount of local support has made being your
representative a highlight of my years of public service.”  Trail indicates that 16 years at
the state level is enough.  He
notes that the tone of state politics has changed during his time in the
House.  “Under former
House Speaker Bruce Newcomb, it was congenial,”  Trail said.  “Everyone could voice their
differences.  We had a good
dialogue, a diversity of opinions, and you were respected for it.  I was spoiled under that type of
democratic environment.”

In  2011
Trail broke party lines on several votes, including education  reform,
closing the Republican primaries, and the tobacco tax.  At  the end of the 2011 session,
House Speaker, Lawerence Denney stripped  Trail of his agricultural
committee chairmanship, though Trail indicated  that move didn’t
factor into his decision to seek re-election to the  house.