[Vision2020] The Animal Farmer's Market --Proposed Market Policies

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 17 12:31:11 PST 2012

Even though I, too, love dogs, I completely disagree with Wayne on this:
other than service animals, I don't believe dogs belong at the Farmer's
Market anymore.  Actually, I suppose a more fair statement would be that
some dog owners don't belong at the Farmer's Market, but since we can't keep
them out, we should be able to keep their dogs out.

While we don't frequent the Farmer's Market as much as we used to (in part,
due to the dogs), the Farmer's Market seems to have the same problem with
dogs the rest of Moscow has:  too many people fail to leash and/or control
their dogs, and to clean up after them.

Bluntly put, there's nothing quite like getting some yummy food from a
vendor & then noticing a terrible stench, only to find that you've stepped
in a steaming pile of dog you-know-what.  I've stepped in more of that at
Farmer's Market than I ever have at any parks in town, including the dog
park!  Perhaps those are the same owners who never clean up after their dogs
anywhere . . . or maybe they just fail to notice what their dogs are doing
in the crowd.  Who know?  But whatever the reason is, it's flatly
disgusting, not to mention completely unsanitary around food, particularly
for the families who bring naturally small children whose hands & faces are
naturally closer to the ground and who do belong at the Farmer's Market.

Perhaps rather than banning dogs from Farmer's Market, a better solution is
to provide shoe cleaning stations so the rest of us have ways to take care
of the problem for all those "wonderful and responsible" dog owners who pay
no attention to their dogs crapping & pissing all over the place at the
Market.

And, just because I love dogs doesn't mean that I love any dog who is
decides to run & jump up on me . . . or to tie me up in its leash while its
owner pays absolutely no attention to it.  I can't tell you the number of
times I've seen both of those things happen from the same dogs over & over
again on the same day!  Sheesh!

And then, of course, there are those dog owners who think their dogs are so
wonderful they should be able to harass every other dog at the Farmer's
Market.  I don't blame the offended dogs for snapping at those annoying
ones, but I also don't think it's fair for the nearby people to be bashed
into & nearly knocked over - and in the cases of small children, actually
knocked to the ground - when the harasser lunges back from the harassed
snapper.

In fairness, I've also seen a lot of dog owners who do keep their dogs
leashed & under control, and I do enjoy seeing those dogs at Farmer's Market
or elsewhere around town.

But, there are, IMO, far too many of the other kind, something that to me
seemed to become a bigger issue as the Farmer's Market became more
successful.

And, here's another thing:  the Farmer's Market "community" has had ample
opportunity to police itself with respect to misbehaving dogs & owners, and
they've been pretty unsuccessful at it, either because people have just
ignored the growing problem (which seems to be the case - 99% of people seem
to just turn a blind eye) or because the irresponsible dog owners are . . .
irresponsible!  I tried to make helpful & informative comments a couple of
times to "repeat offender" dog owners only to be ignored, or in one case, be
told, "It's not my problem you just hate dogs" rather than the owners simply
taking responsibility.  I have no idea what kind of dog owners these people
are otherwise, but they certainly aren't good Farmer's Market "neighbors" &
apparently have no interest in being good Farmer's Market community members.

I actually know quite a few people who no longer go to Farmer's Market
precisely because of those irresponsible dog owners & their dogs:  why are
they less important than those who think that dogs - and not people - are
more important???

Wayne wrote:

"Stop trying to fuck it up!!!!"

I'd feel a lot better had you been telling that to all the dog owners in
recent years who already have successfully done just that, not only for the
responsible dog owners & their dogs, but also for others who've been pretty
much driven away from Farmer's Market.

All of that said, I really don't have a "dog in that fight" since we only
rarely go to the Farmer's Market anymore.  Perhaps a good compromise might
be to have a few dates certain "dog friendly" Farmer's Markets so that those
who want to bring their dogs to Farmer's Market - and those who enjoy having
dogs at the Market - still have the opportunity while those of us who don't
appreciate dogs at the Market aren't excluded from this great community
resource?

JMHO,

Saundra

Moscow, ID