[Vision2020] The New Haven Experiment

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 07:56:08 PST 2012

  [image: The New York Times] <http://www.nytimes.com/>

------------------------------
February 15, 2012
The New Haven Experiment By NICHOLAS D.
KRISTOF<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/opinion/editorialsandoped/oped/columnists/nicholasdkristof/index.html?inline=nyt-per>

NEW HAVEN

I lost patience with teachers’ unions when union officials in New York City
defended a teacher who had passed out in
class<http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/08/31/090831fa_fact_brill>,
reeking of alcohol, with even the principal unable to rouse her.

Not to mention when union officials in Los Angeles helped a teacher keep
his job after he allegedly mocked a
student<http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-teachers3-2009may03,0,5765040,full.story>who
had tried to commit suicide, suggesting that the boy slash his wrists
more deeply the next time.

In many cities, teachers’ unions ensured no one was removed for mere
incompetence. If a teacher stole or abused a student, yes, but school
boards didn’t even try to remove teachers who couldn’t teach.

“Before, you had to go smack the mayor in order to get fired,” Reggie Mayo, the
schools superintendent here
<http://www.nhps.net/DirectorofAdministration>in New Haven, told me.

That’s what makes an experiment under way here so jaw-dropping. New Haven
has arguably become ground zero for school reform in America because it is
transforming the system with the full cooperation of the union.

One of America’s greatest challenges in the coming years will be to turn
around troubled schools, especially in inner cities. It’s the civil rights
issue of our age, and teachers’ unions have mostly been an exasperating
obstacle.

Yet reformers like myself face a conundrum. Teachers’ unions are here to
stay, and the only way to achieve systematic improvement is with their
buy-in. Moreover, the United States critically needs to attract talented
young people into teaching. And that’s less likely when we’re whacking
teachers’ unions in ways that leave many teachers feeling insulted and
demoralized.

The breakthrough experiment in New Haven offers a glimpse of an education
future that is less rancorous. It’s a tribute to the savvy of Randi
Weingarten<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/w/randi_weingarten/index.html?inline=nyt-per>,
the president of the American Federation of
Teachers<http://www.aft.org/about/leadership/president.cfm>and as
shrewd a union leader as any I’ve seen. She realized that the unions
were alienating their allies, and she is trying to change the narrative.

New Haven may be home to Yale University, but this is a gritty, low-income
school district in which four out of five kids qualify for free or
reduced-price lunches. Eighty-four percent of students are black or
Hispanic, and graduation rates have been low.

A couple of years ago, the school district reached a revolutionary contract
with teachers. Pay and benefits would rise, but teachers would embrace
reform — including sacrificing job security. With a stronger evaluation
system, tenure no longer mattered and weak teachers could be pushed out.

Roughly half of a teacher’s evaluation would depend on the performance of
his or her students — including on standardized tests and other measures of
learning.

Teachers were protected by a transparent process, and by accountability for
principals. But if outside evaluators agreed with administrators that a
teacher was failing, the teacher would be out at the end of the school
year.

Last year, the school district <http://www.nhps.net/> pushed out 34
teachers, about 2 percent of the total in the district. The union not only
didn’t object, but acknowledged that many of them didn’t really belong in
the classroom.

“We all use the same litmus test: Would we want our kid in that room?” says
David Cicarella, president of the New Haven Federation of
Teachers<http://ct.aft.org/nhft/index.cfm?action=cat&categoryID=559E3C78-738E-42A6-9DCD-C174522891BA>,
the local union. “We all recognize that we need to do something. Tenured
teachers who are ineffective — that is an issue. We want to do something
about it. But it’s not fair either to blame all teachers.”

Cicarella says that teachers accept that the world has changed.
Accountability and feedback are welcome if they are fair, he says, adding:
“It’s not O.K. any more to spray and pray.”

So far this year, administrators have warned about 50 more teachers that
their jobs are in jeopardy because of weak teaching. That’s out of 1,800
teachers in the district.

Mayor John DeStefano Jr. of New Haven says that the breakthrough isn’t so
much that poor teachers are being eased out, but that feedback is making
everyone perform better — principals included. “Most everybody picked up
their game in the district,” he said.

It’ll take years to verify that students themselves are benefiting, but
it’s striking that teachers and administrators alike seem happy with the
new system. They even say nice things about each other. In many tough
school districts, teachers are demoralized and wilted; that feels less true
in New Haven.

The New Haven model still doesn’t go as far as I would like, but it does
represent enormous progress. And it’s a glimpse of a world in which “school
reform” is an agenda and not just a term that sets off a brawl.

If the American Federation of Teachers continues down this path, I’ll
revisit my criticisms of teachers’
unions<http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/15/opinion/15kristof.html>.
Maybe even give them a hug for daring to become part of the solution.

--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
art.deco.studios at gmail.com