[Vision2020] From the Legislature, Part III

Shirley Ringo ringoshirl at moscow.com
Mon Feb 6 09:40:53 PST 2012

Visionaries:

>From the Legislature, Part III

February 6, 2012

Last Friday, members of JFAC heard compelling testimony from service providers and individuals who rely on Medicaid.  There has been much discussion about these cuts.  Among them:  adults on Medicaid can access only emergency dental care; Medicaid will not cover routine vision care nor corrective lenses for adults; one-on-one therapy for individuals with mental health issues or physical disabilities is much harder to access; for audiology benefits, Medicaid will no longer cover screening, preventive, or corrective services for adults 21 years of age or older.

In an effort to avoid duplicative services, the Department of Health and Welfare has been directed to restrict duplicative skill training from being provided by a mental health provider when the individual has chosen to receive skill training from a developmental disability provider.  Many clients suffer from both mental health and developmental disability issues.  They tell us that this provision, requiring one service but not both, is analogous to stipulating that someone who suffers from both diabetes and cancer is only allowed to treat one of those diseases.  The training required for an individual with developmental disabilities is different from that required for an individual with mental health issues.

Some individuals with severe disabilities manage their services through a "self-determination" program.  Through this program, these individuals receive a yearly budget and then contract for the services they need.  This year, I have seen the department slash these budgets so that it is nearly impossible for some people to obtain services needed to stay in their homes.  A group of individuals has sued the Department of Health and Welfare over this issue.  The court has issued a temporary restraining order to prevent the Department from reducing these budgets without first providing adequate and court-approved notice and fair hearing.  The statement was made in the decision rendered that "irreparable harm to the plaintiffs is likely."

It is distressing that when sound decisions are not made, and sound practices are not followed, taxpayers foot the bill to defend these unfortunate practices in court.

Most of these restrictions result from House Bill 260, which was passed during the 2011 legislative session.  To me, the cost savings for some of these restrictions do not measure up to the harm inflicted upon those in need.

Representative Shirley Ringo

PS   Many important programs have had funding drastically reduced since 2009.  In my opinion, we should take a balanced approach to solving this problem - a blend of responsible cuts and increase in revenue.  I have proposed a variety of plans to enhance revenue without much success in the legislature.  If you are interested in a citizens' initiative to eliminate certain tax exemptions, please visit www.SUTinIdaho.org.