[Vision2020] Co-Op More Than a 'Grocery Store'

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Feb 6 08:22:25 PST 2012

Courtesy of today's (February 6, 2012) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with a special thanks to Donald Wilkinson.

------------------------------

Co-op more than a 'grocery store'
In response to Howard Runck's letter to the editor (Opinion, Feb. 2), about the Moscow Food Co-op being front page news: I think the reason is many fold. In relevance, nearly half the population of Moscow and many in Pullman, and outlying towns as well not only shop at the Co-op but also meet with friends, family and co-workers there to conduct business (which doesn't happen at Safeway or Winco). This principle is called "Third Place;" the first two being home and work. It is where a large segment of the Palouse meets.
It's not just a grocery store. It promotes community film series at the Kenworthy, a farmers market, parent/toddler groups, art shows, bike workshops, health and welfare classes and many other events. These things don't happen at Walmart, Rosauers, Winco or Safeway.
The Co-op is not a nonprofit, it is a for profit S corporation that gives lots of money back to the community.
The Co-op is also not about vegetarian and vegan food. Yes, those types of products are there, but so is a deli that has lots of meat selection and a fantastic meat department that supports local meat suppliers.
Howard, I encourage you to go to the Co-op and see what they have to offer. Experience the warm atmosphere and really friendly employees. It is a cultural experience, and you don't have to be a member.
Donal Wilkinson
Moscow

I have been a member and frequent customer of the Co-Op for sixteen years not only because of the quality and variety of their products, but for its enjoyable sense and "feel" of community.

Seeya later, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
Post Falls, Idaho

"If not us, who?