[Vision2020] Legislative Newsletter IV- January 31-February 4, 2012

Rep. Tom Trail ttrail at moscow.com
Sun Feb 5 11:33:04 PST 2012

LEGISLATIVE NEWSLETTER IV—JANUARY 31-FEBUARY
4/2012
Constituents:
One of the highlights of the
week was a visit by 34 students and 14 parents and teachers from the
Palouse Prairie Charter School in Moscow.  Rep. Ringo and I gave the group a
tour of the Capitol.  The
fourth grade class with their teacher, Bethany Gallo, was very
impressive.  They have been
studying the issue of bullying in the schools for the past four
months.  Both Rep. Ringo and I
were questioned by the students about the issue, and they presented both
their positive and negative positions much like in a debate.    The group had
contracted with Subway Sandwiches for lunch and so I reserved the
Republican Caucus Room for them.  We continued to discuss the issue
about bullying until almost 1:00 pm.
Rep. Peter Nielsen and I are planning on introducing a resolution
which would designate the third week in September as Bully Awareness
Week.  This will give school
districts an opportunity early in the school year to work out various
activities to highlight the problems of bullying and constructive ways in
dealing with the problem.
Education—The State Department of Education
presented a budget for the public schools that is more generous than the
one proposed by the Governor and it is one that I support.  It represents a 5 percent increase
in state funding for teacher compensation, fully funds technology, and
provides the means for all high school juniors to take a college entrance
examination and allow juniors and seniors to earn college credits while
still in high school.  It has
been shown that high school students who take these “dual
credit” courses are more likely to attend and complete college.
Redistricting—It appears that the
redistricting process is finally over, and that there will be no more
appeals.  The Third
Redistricting Committee met for two days and came up with the final
plan.   Our District will
be District 5 which will combine Latah and Benewah counties into the
district.  A bill was
introduced into State Affairs calling for moving the May Primary Date to
August.  I oppose this proposal
because August is a month of vacations and farming activities.  The May 15th primary date is a
better date.  Historically
primary turnouts are very low and with the closed primary this year the
turnout will probably be even less.
Transportation—As I have pointed for two
years the Idaho Taxpayer has been subsidizing the Megaloads.   The Department of
Transportation admitted that they lost over $650,000 last year by not
charging enough for the megaload permit.    This has now been
corrected through the rule making process allowing ITD to increase the
permit charge for overloads.    ITD cannot reclaim
legal charges that are involved in the permitting process.    I have a bill that
would help ITD reclaim legal fees; however, it is a complex issue and ITD
and I will be researching how other state transportation departments
handle the situation and hopefully be able to bring forward legislation
for the coming year.  It does
appear that the since Exxon has only 14 megaloads in Lewiston and the
inquiries from other companies has fallen off that the battle of the
megaloads on Idaho’s highways may be almost over.
Taxes—Idaho’s tax climate improved one
spot in the Tax Foundation’s annual ranking of states.  Idaho moved from 22 to 21 in 2012,
placing it in the middle of states nationwide.  But regionally Idaho would have to
make major changes to catch up with its neighbors.  Wyoming is ranked 1st,
Nevada 3rd, Washington 7th, Montana 8th,
Utah 10th, and Oregon 13th.   Idaho lawmakers are
considering the Governor’s call for a tax cut that would help
Idaho’s business climate.    No concrete proposals
have yet emerged in bill form.
There appears to be a major move to introduce legislation that
would approve of Idaho’s participating in a National Compact that
could lead to the permitting of taxing on line sales.    This is an excellent
idea that I support.   It
is evident that by not taxing on line sales that this hurts our main
street businesses.  Several
states have called for online companies to voluntarily pay the sales tax,
and in one case a state collected almost $20 million.  Sen. Steve Vick is pushing for a
constitutional amendment  to
require fee or tax hikes passed by the Legislature to garner two thirds
support.
Agriculture and the Economy—Dr. Garth Taylor
of the University of Idaho College of Agriculture presented a report on
agriculture and the economy in Idaho.   Farm gate sales set an all
time record last year for a total of over $7.2 billion with a record net
income to farmers of $2 billion.   Among the Western states
Idaho ranks as the third most important agricultural state coming in
behind California and Washington.
Idaho’s agriculture as been strong and stable
during the last four years of recession.
The next several weeks will see a flurry of bills
introduced.    In the
meantime one needs to keep up a sense of humor in the political
arena.   Presidential
candidate Ron Paul has accidently benefitted from a new political fund
raising scheme out of Nevada.
In the Nevada caucus of over 500 ladies of the night, Paul was
selected as the overwhelming choice.    A newspaper in Carson
City headlined the event with the headline, “Carson City Ladies
Solicit Customers to Support Congressman Paul and also give their tips to
His Campaign.”  Together
with the SuperPacs this simply gives us another new novel approach to
campaign financing.
Please send me your comments and ideas.
 My e mail is ttrail at house.idaho.gov

 or      thomasftrail at gmail.com