[Vision2020] Hawkins Funding From Olympia Becoming Less Likely

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Feb 4 04:27:46 PST 2012

Courtesy of today's (February 4, 2012) Moscw-Pullman Daily News.

------------------------------

Hawkins funding from state becoming less likely
By Kelli Hadley Daily News staff writer
Two Whitman County commissioners have traveled to Olympia looking for state assistance in the Hawkins Companies' proposed shopping development on the state line, but neither made much headway in obtaining funds for the $15 million agreement.
Commissioner Greg Partch, one of two commissioners who signed an amended contract to reimburse Hawkins for infrastructure at the site, said they approached Gov. Chris Gregoire last week but didn't get many answers.
"They're sympathetic but there's not a lot of money there," Partch said. "It's competitive over there. One of the reasons we moved as fast as we did is because they're in session, and we knew we needed to get over there."
Partch said they were told the state Public Works Trust Fund, which contains $700 million for long-term, low interest loans, is still their best bet for financing.
"That had a moratorium on it, and they actually did open that up while I was over there. That's what (Commissioner) Pat (O'Neill) was going to look into this week," Partch said.
O'Neill, who also signed the amended agreement, traveled to Olympia on Tuesday to meet with 44th District Rep. Hans Dunshee, who is the chair of the Capital Budget Committee.
"I gave him the information, and he said he'd work on it," O'Neill said. "... I'm not the only one who walked in there and said that we need the money."
O'Neill was also advised to meet with Rep. Judy Warwick, R-Moses Lake, Sen. Mary Margaret Haugen, D-Camano Island, and Sen. Linda Parlette, R-Wenatchee, to explain the county's financial needs. During each meeting, he said the legislators took notes and agreed to look into it.
"Last week I heard through the grapevine that they had their lines drawn about where money was divvied up," O'Neill said. "That wasn't the impression that I got when I went there this week. But it's all a struggle because of the situation of the state."
Financial Director Gary Petrovich, Public Works Director Mark Storey and Jim Potts, Whitman County lobbyist, also met with the three 9th District legislators last week in Olympia, which Partch was unable to attend.
"We got an earful over the lawsuit," Petrovich said. "They said they'd received numerous calls from constituents expressing their concern over the process in which the commissioners approved the amendment."
Because the state is trying to bridge a deficit of about $1.5 billion, Petrovich said legislators are wary about assisting expensive county and city projects.
"The legislators are kind of in their own world ... they are faced with drastic cutbacks and dealing with the governor's proposed budget," Petrovich said. "So from their perspective, it's like, 'The state is scrambling for money, why are you guys asking us for money?' "
Last week a group called the Organization to Void Illegal Conduct filed a lawsuit against Whitman County and Hawkins, claiming that among other issues, commissioners did not comply with the Open Public Meetings Act in their decisions leading up to the agreement with Hawkins.
During a presentation at the Farm City Day luncheon Tuesday in Colfax, Commissioner Michael Largent confirmed that the board will vote Monday on whether to continue with Prosecuting Attorney Denis Tracy as their defense attorney or to have Superior Court Judge David Frazier appoint outside counsel. The last time a special attorney was appointed was in 2010 and cost $26,000 - this time it could run upward of $50,000, he said.
"I think the most important thing for the county is to learn to live within its means," Largent said Tuesday.
Largent also said Tuesday he wants to receive a lot of public input - not just vocalized unhappiness, but actual ideas.
"We need strategic, informed, competent thinking ... I expect an interesting race ahead for the county commission," he said.

Seeya later, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
Post Falls, Idaho

"If not us, who?