[Vision2020] [link added] We, Intoleristas . . .

Gier, Nicholas ngier at uidaho.edu
Mon Dec 31 10:45:59 PST 2012

Hi Tom,

Thanks for posting this.  I had not read it either before now.  It is vintage Wilson--all rhetoric and sarcasm with little substance.  Much like his papers for my philosophy classes.

Some time ago a Kirker accused me of being a "Hindu-Lover," or something like that.  I had to inform him that I have supported four Indians for their studies:  one Christian who is now practicing psychotherapy in Australia, one Hindu for his art career, and a man and wife team (both devout Christians). My Hindu friends may have good reason to charge that I'm a "Christian-lover."

The husband just finished his Ph.D. at the University of Denver on the psychology of being a Christian untouchable. (I thought that they did not exist.) It was a brilliant analysis that gained him a dissertation prize of $2,000.  The wife just graduated summa cum laude from the School of Nursing and the University of Houston.

I had a great weekend celebrating with them (Indian food at every meal) and a wonderful church service for Telegu-speaking Christians.  What a change when they switched from the stodgy English hymns to the ones in Telegu.  The tamborines and tabla came out, and I was able sing along because an IT guy projected the phonetic equivalents on a screen.  A weekend of total immersion in Indian culture that will never be forgotten.

Wilson praises that fact that many, but not as many as he implies, Latin Americans have converted to Pentecostal Christianity. (The highest percentage of them in coffee producing countries is 20 percent in Gautemala.) As he does with his right hand, he calls American Pentecostals less than Christian on the left.  (I can play the right and left hand game as well as he can.)  There is absolutely no healing, speaking in tongues, prophesying, and holy rolling at Christ Church.

The only foreign travel Doug Wilson did was on U.S. subs.  He doesn't have a clue what multiculturalism is or what seasoned travelers experience and learn in foreign lands.  His is a very narrow world indeed.

Happy New Year to all beings,

Nick

A society grows great when old men plant the seeds of trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.

-Greek proverb