[Vision2020] The Horror

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 12:07:17 PST 2012

Paul and others seem to miss the correlation between gun violence in the US
and easy access to firearms in the US. That is why folks talk about banning
guns. There is a problem, a correlation, and the view that maybe the
correlation is a causal relation.

I'm not sure what the analogy with drunk driving is supposed to prove. In
fact, we've used the law in many ways in an attempt to reduce drunk driving
deaths: we've lowered speed limits, lowered drink limits, created traffic
stops, etc. These measures have restricted the freedoms of all of us but
the thought is that the increase in lives saved is worth the slight
decrease in freedom. Personally I'm not sure this is right but the point is
we did it, and we can talk about doing it and other things without calling
each other names and getting hysterical.

What are the rightss that you would loose were we to ban semiautomatic
weapons? The right to protect your family? You need a semiautomatic rifle
for protection? That is absurd. You don't live in Beirut. The right to form
a militia and overthrow a tyrannical government? That is absurd too. That
semiautomatic rifle is not going to help much when you're starring down a
tank!

Name one use of a semiautomatic weapon that would count as a right,
something essential to your life, liberty, and happiness. You can't do it.