[Vision2020] The Horror

Carl Westberg idahovandal1 at live.com
Fri Dec 28 11:51:25 PST 2012

Looking at the other side of this national discussion, an interesting report from the PBS News Hour about attempts to improve mental health care.  http://video.pbs.org/video/2321198589/

Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 11:31:15 -0800
From: godshatter at yahoo.com
To: thansen at moscow.com
CC: vision2020 at moscow.com
Subject: Re: [Vision2020] The Horror

      I wonder if Mr. Roach can rationalise the many deaths caused by
      the use of alcohol as a recreational beverage.  Lots more people
      die from drunk drivers than die from spree shootings.  I haven't
      looked at the statistics, but I'll bet more people die from
      alcohol poisoning than die from them as well.  Then you have
      people that die from the effects of alcohol abuse on their bodies,
      or die from accidents involving alcohol consumption.

      Perhaps Mr. Roach would like to ban alcohol, too.  I have no
      idea.  But I'm guessing that the same reasons we rationalise all
      the drunk driving accidents are much the same that "gun rights
      defenders" use for rationalising these events.  The main one being
      that freedom comes with a price.  At least guns can be used for
      self-defense, and aren't solely recreational.

      Paul

      On 12/28/2012 06:21 AM, Tom Hansen wrote:

        Courtesy of
          today's (December 28, 2012) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with
          thanks to Jim Roach.

        -------------------------------------

          The horror
          Hey, all you NRA gun rights
              defenders, please rationalize the latest shooting in
              Connecticut. Twenty first-graders and six adults dead. (I
              can't list the shooter as one of the dead, because he was
              already dead before he walked into the school).
          Defend it for us all so we can
              get behind you in support. Please, give it a go, we're all
              ears. Justify the ease with which 15, 30 even 100 round
              clips are available for our consumption. While you're at
              it, justify the 6,000 rounds found in James Holmes'
              apartment. Remember? He's the man who shot up the theatre
              in Colorado. Also, defend Anders Breivik and his
              possession of thousands of rounds he received through the
              mail so he could shoot up those who so thoroughly offended
              him. Wow, mail order ammunition clips.

            Or the Portland mall shooting.
                Or the Columbine High School massacre. Or the Arkansas
                school killings. Or, or, or ...

            Please, tell us how important
                matters such as "gun shows," where thousands of guns and
                ammunition are readily available with no ID or
                background checks, are necessary for our survival.
                Please, help someone like me, with so little cognitive
                ability, understand. I like having fun. And, I only
                require 3,000 rounds for my personal defense. I wouldn't
                want to arouse John Law by owning any more than that. Or
                do you think law enforcement would even notice?

            Mostly, though, I want the
                justification of killing 6-and 7-year-olds. Oh yeah,
                that's right, guns don't kill people, people kill
                people. So that's OK, all nice and neat with a
                decorative bow on the coffins. Do guns and ammo come
                gift wrapped, too?

            Jim Roach

            Moscow

          Seeya round town, Moscow, because . . .