[Vision2020] Isn't it about time . . .

Dan Carscallen areaman at moscow.com
Thu Dec 20 09:32:08 PST 2012

Tom,

One could ask the same question: When was the last time we had an active
shooter incident in one of our Moscow schools?  We haven't, but we've
prepared for it, holding exercises to see how such a situation might be
handled.  I think the Moscow Police, Fire and EMS have taken steps in
obtaining training and equipment to mitigate such a situation.

Since I've begun my time in emergency services I've really pushed the idea
that we prepare for the worst and hope for the best.  Through grant funding
we've gotten a lot of "mass casualty incident" supplies ready for whatever
may happen.  I'd rather have and not need than need and not have.

Am I prepared to defend my home?  That's nobody's business but mine and my
family's.

I don't like kids getting killed.
I don't like gun control.
I don't like the potential of taking someone's freedom away because they
might not meet someone's definition of "mentally balanced".
I'm probably not going to like whatever comes out of this debate that our
leaders are going to have over the next several months.

But I'll live with it, and hopefully more folks will stay alive because of
it.

Your pal,

DC