[Vision2020] Knee-Jerk Reactions

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Thu Dec 20 00:59:40 PST 2012

With respect to the SHES tragedy, Paul's & Wayne's comments about "knee-jerk
reactions" from those of us who are demanding that it's long PAST time to
seriously address gun violence in this nation & Roger's comments about
concealed weapons permits being "better" than open carry were bothersome to
me.

It should come as no surprise to anyone here that if I were willing to
accept any political label (which I'm not), it would most likely be along
the lines of "progressive," but I don't -- and never have -- been a party
voter, and I've never hesitated to take dem elected officials to task the
same way I do repubs as needed.

Also not surprisingly, I get emails about a lot of causes I support that
tend to be progressive.  You know, the ACLU, Amnesty International, People
for the American Way, consumer protection & safety groups, Planned
Parenthood, Mayors Against Illegal Guns, UltraViolet, etc.

And, I have to say that in the wake of the SHES tragedy, I've not received a
SINGLE "knee-jerk" email from ANY "progressive" group or even from groups
some would probably consider definitely left-of-center groups.  Not a single
one.

I did, however, receive an email that could only in the most charitable
manner be described as a knee-jerk reaction of the worst kind, and I'm
pretty certain some of you here also received it, only you didn't have the
guts to post it and use it as an example of a real knee-jerk reaction.

Do be sure and note the time it was sent:  almost exactly 24 hours following
the tragedy.

I've removed the sender's email address, although an Internet search
conducted on parts of the email text immediately following receipt gave a
pretty good (although not definitive) indication of the original source
group.  It's also . . . interesting how few hits there are for it now.  If I
were a conspiracy theorist, I'd say that the top people in certain circles
demanded that their followers conduct a purge of the thousands of time they
posted & re-posted on their blogs and in their chat groups & listserves in
those 24 hours.

Besides, anyone with connected brain cells can get an idea of the type of
people behind this insanity, the kind of insanity that's rampant in "The
Citadel Project" wing-nuts, the TPers, the militia groups, the reactionary
right, the religious right, the NRA brain-dead, etc.

Finally, a word to the wise:  you'd better think twice before you EVER again
try to label as "knee-jerk" the REASONABLE concerns expressed by REASONABLE
people sick of the NEVER-ENDING GUN VIOLENCE made possible in no small part
to the morons who parrot the NRA propaganda, "I'll give you my gun when you
pry (or take) it from my cold, dead hands" and the "all government spending
is bad (except when it goes into my personal pockets)" hypocrites.  If you
aren't part of the solution, then you're a part of the problem, no matter
how hard you try to convince those demanding action to bury their heads in
the sand, just like you.

And now, get your puke bag before reading the email below.

Saundra