[Vision2020] The Petition

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 09:36:15 PST 2012

Slitting wrists, jumping from a bridge, or overdosing on pills are all much
harder to do than shooting yourself. I'm talking about the rash individual
who supposes he'd be better off dead. Grabbing a gun is just easier. If we
didn't REGULATE medicine maybe taking pills would be easier. Think of Jimmy
Stewart in It's a Wonderful Life. He looks down at the river and pauses
while thinking about whether or not to end it all. If he had had a handgun,
the film would have ended very differently. I know people who have killed
themselves in moments of rashness and I'm interested in exploring ways in
which we can try to prevent this while still protecting individual rights.

Here's the other thing. There is at least one example where gun control
reduced gun violence: Australia. You give me ONE example in which gun
violence was reduced in some other way, without restricting firearms at
all. I'm not interested in your wild speculations. I live in the real world
where if a solution HAS worked, you should at least explore the possibility
of trying it yourself. Joe