[Vision2020] Close to 27 Dead

Darrell Keim keim153 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 17:43:46 PST 2012

Seems to me Idahoans have a choice that can be easily made by using basic
economics.  We can build more prisons, or invest in mental health
prevention, education and identification.  Both cost money.  The option
that rehabilitates lives costs less.

Did you know the Idaho state prison population is 6400?  In 1974 it was
614.  I don't claim that mental health issues account for this 96%(!!!!!!!)
increase.  But, I'd bet my eye teeth that it DOES represent a good chunk of
it.

Incarceration is the most expensive option we have.  Time and again it is
what we have opted for.  Some say doing the same thing over and over again
and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.  Idaho
should stop the insanity.  Try pro-actively investing in mental health.