[Vision2020] Close to 27 Dead

Darrell Keim keim153 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 15:46:33 PST 2012

Breaks my heart. And ready availability of guns IS what makes it possible.
But I look deeper for a cause. I think it goes back to the Reagan era cuts
in mental health. At the time our nation greatly cut funding for mental
health institutions (closing many). The idea was to integrate these people
into the community. Money saved by closing facilities was supposed to go
into "wrap-around" programs that would help these people live and function
successfully in the community. Guess what? The facilities were closed, but
wrap-around programs didn't get the funding. People were put into
communities without support. And it has been the same ever since...
And what gets me is that prevention actually costs less! Much cheaper to
treat the mentally ill than to: A. Ignore them. B. Incarcerate them. Was
looking at some numbers yesterday. A few years ago Idaho GREATLY cut mental
health services. Guess what? Costs to the state have greatly increased in
terms of incarceration and emergency hospitalization. Maybe we shouldn't
have cut off our nose to spite our face.