[Vision2020] [corrected] Otter wants health insurance market state-run

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Wed Dec 12 09:59:12 PST 2012

On 12/12/2012 8:50 AM, Tom Hansen wrote:
> Tell us about it, Mr. Marcy, when you are diagnosed with cancer at 75
> years old and browsing the health insurance "marketplace" for an
> insurer whose premiums you can afford.

Fortunately when I will be 75 is many years in the future, by which time
I hope that these public insurance matters will be favorably resolved,
preferably with larger policy population groups than are available in
the State of Idaho.  In the alternative, and preferably sooner, I hope
to have better achieved a financial status that will allow me a lower
level of, which is not to say a level of no, personal financial concern
about such matters.

My point about local control presumes that at least some individuals are
sufficiently interested in the benefits of procuring higher levels of
policy protection, if not perfection, than might otherwise be available
from national, less flexible, insurance regulations. Idaho has some of
the lowest automobile insurance rates in the nation as a result of
characteristics of Idaho citizen drivers.  It well may be that analogous
lower health care insurance rates might be available were Idahoans able
to apply our own standards to our own insurable characteristics.
Alternatively, for higher rates comparable to national standards, levels
and varieties of coverage may be able to be increased for Idaho
insurance rate payers.

The novel idea of a degree of actuarial autonomy being a public
political concern may seem a little strange at first, but it's really
little different than science and technology applied to other areas of
public policy.  In May, 2013, the fifth edition of the American
Psychiatric Association's
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Psychiatric_Association> (APA)
/Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagnostic_and_Statistical_Manual_of_Mental_Disorders>
/will be published. Revisions of existing and new possible diagnoses
will have effects on many people as individuals and as participants in
various publicly-concerned organizations, e.g., public schools. Health
care costs, both public and private, as well as other agency and private
budgets will be affected, both directly and indirectly. More local
control over insurance rates that interact with such processes seems a
good idea, even if learning about and participating in policy-making
about insurance rates is prerequisite.

Ken/
/