[Vision2020] At least 1 killed in Clackamas mall shooting; shooter 'neutralized'

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Dec 11 17:37:01 PST 2012

As mental health facilities continue to close and assault rifles become easier and easier to obtain . . .

Courtesy of KATU-TV (Portland, Oregon) at:

http://www.katu.com/news/local/Shooting-Clackamas-Town-Center-183077691.html

-------------------------------------
At least 1 killed in Clackamas mall shooting; shooter 'neutralized'
CLACKAMAS, Ore. – At least one person was killed after a shooting inside Clackamas Town Center mall on Tuesday afternoon, according deputies.

Clackamas County Sheriff's spokesman Lt. James Rhodes said as of 4:50 p.m., the shooter had been "neutralized." He did not specify if deputies shot the suspect or if the suspect was dead.

He said deputies didn't believe there were any other shooters involved, although they are still searching the mall to ensure that is the case.

At least four and as many as seven more people were reportedly injured.

"We believe there's at least one deceased and maybe more," said Rhodes.

Officers first received reports of a shooter with a mask wearing a vest.

Video from KATU's helicopter showed dozens of ambulances lined up outside the mall and a LifeFlight helicopter in the parking lot. At least one patient was taken to OHSU.

An employee at a store in the mall, Evan Walters was locked inside a store with about 10 others just a few feet away from where the shooting happened.

Walters said at least 20 shots were fired.

"It was kind of surreal because we hear pops and loud noises all the time because we're right here by the food court, but it's never been anything like that,” he said. “It was very definite gun shots. I think most all of us knew it was gunshots. There really was no rhyme or reason to them. There were many in a row."

He saw two people who had been shot and killed. In fact, Walters and other store employees brought out sheets from the store to place over the victims.

"Everyone's just trying to stick together and be as calm as possible for people ... I don't know what else to say,” Walters said. “It's just kind of scary. We're just trying to be as strong as we can and hopefully we'll be out of this as soon as possible."

Amber Tate said she was coming out of Macy’s and standing by her car when she spotted a gunman, who was wearing a camo shirt and what looked like a bulletproof vest. Tate said he looked like a teenager.

“The parking lot was a mess,” she said. “It was just super scary.”

Tate, who didn't hear any shots fired, said at first, she thought the gunman was wearing a paintball vest.

"But then I saw all these people running out screaming and people grabbing their kids and crying and trying to get into their cars as fast as they could," she said.

KATU reporter Anna Canzano said her husband, Oregonian sports columnist John Canzano, was pulling up to the mall when the shooting happened. He said people reported hearing around 60 shots from the food court.

Hundreds of people were evacuated from the building.

The sheriff's department sent out a short notice saying there is an "active shooting call" at the mall.

A man named Sam said he was at the mall shopping at GameStop when the shooting happened.

"A bunch of people were screaming and running by and kind of in a panic and they were yelling that there was a shooting," he said.

Canzano reported seeing people at the mall crying and distraught as police officers swarmed the mall.

It’s not clear who the shooter is.

The shooting happened around 3:20 p.m.

The scene outside the Clackamas Town Center Mall.

Seeya round town, Moscow, because . . .

"Moscow Cares"
http://www.MoscowCares.com