[Vision2020] Whack-a-Dos On & Off the Council At It Again

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 13:34:33 PST 2012

I'm not sure exactly who the humanist billboard was intended to reach,
according to the creator of the content or those who paid for its
placement.  You may very well be correct, that it was aimed at an adult
audience.  This is likely.   And of course it is legally protected speech.
But legal does not always imply ethical or desirable, sometimes quite the
opposite.

I was assuming the complaints against this billboard might have had some
basis in the life of the person complaining to the city council.  Perhaps
their daughter, I think it was, read the billboard and was upset by it?  I
don't know.  Because the billboard is intended for adults does not mean it
cannot have an impact on children.

Children are sometimes far more intelligent and aware than adults give them
credit for, and some children indeed do want to give up childish beliefs,
especially in our modern world which some with dismay think is forcing
children to grow up far too fast, sacrificing childhood in the process.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with the content of that billboard, but I
can understand why someone would.
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett