[Vision2020] FW: Obama backs amendment

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Fri Aug 31 20:56:55 PDT 2012

On 8/31/2012 4:59 PM, Scott Dredge wrote:
> Does anyone know the specific text of the proposed Constitutional
> Amendment?  Obama is blowing smoke...

The specific constitutional amendment language has not yet been written.

Here's the question and how Obama responded to it from the laptop he
used for the reddit session that received his posts:

Q: suzmerk

What are you going to do to end the corrupting influence of money in
politics during your second term?

A: PresidentObama

[--]
<http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/z1c9z/i_am_barack_obama_president_of_the_united_states/c60mnz9#>PresidentObama
<http://www.reddit.com/user/PresidentObama>Obama[S
<http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/z1c9z/i_am_barack_obama_president_of_the_united_states/>]
2292 points 2 days ago

Money has always been a factor in politics, but we are seeing something
new in the no-holds barred flow of seven and eight figure checks, most
undisclosed, into super-PACs; they fundamentally threaten to overwhelm
the political process over the long run and drown out the voices of
ordinary citizens. We need to start with passing the Disclose Act that
is already written and been sponsored in Congress - to at least force
disclosure of who is giving to who. We should also pass legislation
prohibiting the bundling of campaign contributions from lobbyists. Over
the longer term, I think we need to seriously consider mobilizing a
constitutional amendment process to overturn Citizens United (assuming
the Supreme Court doesn't revisit it). Even if the amendment process
falls short, it can shine a spotlight of the super-PAC phenomenon and
help apply pressure for change.

Ken